Printer Sharing

nmm88

Registered
Ive got my HP PSC 750 hooked up to my e-mac and its all working fine. I also have an old win2k box that is on the network. They're in the same workgroup and i can share files fine. On my pc, in the network places, my apple comes up and i can get in. My printer is then listed and i click on it and it seemed to install. However when i get into the printer settings, and open up the networked printer, in the title box it says it is unable to connect, access is denied. When I try to print to it from another program no error messages come up, but the file is still never sent.

Thanks for the link to the guide, but i still wasnt about to get it working. I got about half way through the many steps and a lot of things went wrong, so i just gave up. Isnt there an easier way to print from windows to OS X using what panther already has? After all, Apple has said that Windows and OS X can share printers.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/windows/
Thanks

OK, sorry - you want to print to a printer connected to OS X, not vice versa? Once you have the printer setup on Windows, you need to make one change, so that you produce postscript on the PC and send that postscript to the Mac, where it will be rasterized for the printer. On the PC, right-click on the printer to get Printer "properties." Then in the Advanced Tab, change the driver and select an Apple Color LaserWriter as the new driver.
Again, sorry if I misunderstood and had you working backwards.

Thanks again, gsahli. But my main concern is still that I am not able to understand most of what that guide tells me to do. I started out with the cups method and got it configured, but my printer an HP PSC 750 isnt listed in the driver list when im configureing it in the cups web interface. That might be the problem. I printed a test page to see if it worked and it didnt....for a while. After i had given up and signed out, i came back about an hour later and signed back into OS X. My printed activated and out came the cups test page. Odd. I never was able to get it to work again, so i didnt proceed with the steps. LIke i said, there should be some easier way if apple advertises that it can happen.

Unfortunately, with flexibility comes complexity....
The cups system OS X uses is straight from Linux - and Linux users have the same kinds of "challenges."
All-in-one devices have been problematic, because of the background app that takes up processor time. I'd try going back to the HP driver in your case. What other questions do you have?

Back