Printing problems with Quark 3.1 and freehand 3.1! Please Help!!!

stormchaser3

Registered
Heres the layout. A lab with Imacs with OS 9.2, Quark Xpress 3.1, Freehand 3.1. And a HP 4550 networked printer with a static IP address. Appletalk on this printer has been disabled due to our network not supporting it. Everytime someone tries to print to the print with either of the applications, it prints code /garbage. Do you have any ideas how I can fix this?

I really appreciate it!

Rob Kaufman
Technology Coordinator, DCTS

I have had similar problems printing eps and other graphic files with ip printing in os 9 - the applications may not support it - and i was using a lot newer than quark 3

Is it a Postscript printer? That sounds like what happened to me when printing to a non PostScript printer.

Not sure if it is or not. Could it be that Quark Xpress and Freehand are out of date? Or could it be a driver issue? If I got to any web page and print the window, it prints beautifully, also printing from word, does the job. It is just with Quark 3.1 and freehand 3.1 when trying to print it prints out 100 or so of code/garbage.

Please help!

It sounds like the printer is not a PostScript printer, in which case, you'll need a PostScript interpreter between the computer and the printer.

stormchaser3 said:
How would I get one?

if it truly is a postscript printer problem here is a work around..at least until u find a software rip for your printer.... u can use certain programs such as adobe photoshop as your software rip as they will convert eps files to raster which should print fine to a non postscript printer...from quark save the file as eps and reopen in photoshop and print normally...pain in the butt but if u have to use this printer then its a quick temporary fix. as to software rips for your printer check with your printer manufacturer first.

Also try saving it to a PDF - I think FH 3 has that as an export option. If that does not print well, then perhaps its not a PostScipt issue. (I don't believe PDF uses postscript)

Back