Problem sharing a printer with Windows Vista?

josefcarel

Registered
I have a printer hooked to my MacBook and wanted to shared with a Laptop with Vista.There are both connected trhough a wireless router. I tryied from Vista to find directly the printer and it was found without any problem with the correct Windows driver, but there is no printing. I tryied also with Bonjour and it found the printer immediatly but the same, there is no printing at all. Maybe is important to say that the Printer Manager in Vista remaind empty when I try to send something to the printer. Also the Manager in the Mac is empty. In the past I could print but something happens and I dont know what.
There is any advise what to do?

Last edited:
it was found without any problem with the correct Windows driver, but there is no printing

Found with correct Windows driver is the Big Clue here. Mac print queues expect to receive postscript (or PDF) as input. The Mac does the translation to the printer's language. So, change the driver on WIndows to a generic postscript driver, to send postscript to the Mac.

Of course there is another way. You could add a second queue for the printer on your Mac - a "raw" queue, which doesn't do any translation - just passes input to output. Find how elsewhere on the web.

I dont know exactly whats the point in your advice but looking at the Bonjour installation of the same printer I found it work with a Generic/Postscript driver. So, Whats happens that this doesn't work ?

The second possibility I don't know how to do that at all.

Back