Problem With Itunes

bananaboi8715

Registered
After using Itunes for MACOSX for over a year without any problems, I tried opening the application and I got a message saying "The Itunes Music Library file cannot be read because it does not appear to be a valid library file." Meanwhile, ITUNES does appear in the lib on my computer, but I may be mistaken. How do I fix this and continue listening to music? Please help!

Do a search for "iTunes Music Library". You should come up with an XML file. It should be with your music. Drag this file to a safe location, like your Documents folder, and open iTunes. If no songs appear, you're set. It should recreate the XML file, so open that and the original file, and copy/paste everything from the old file to the new one.

When I try to copy MP3s to ITUNES I am not able to. My mac says that the disk Macintosh HD cannot be copied, but all I want are the songs that are in my shared folder.

iTunes allows you to change the location where your MP3s are stored. Does your hard drive have only a single partition? Do you have more than one hard drive? If so, create a dedicated folder on a larger drive/partition and put your MP3s there. Then set your iTunes preferences to the new location. If necessary run the "Consolidate Library" command in the iTunes Advanced menu. I suggest also allowing iTunes to organize your music folder for you, which is another Preferences option. When it's all done, delete the iTunes Music folder in your home folder.

Won't work for me. I've only got the single drive, and I already set it to organize my music. But like I said, I can always go around OS X, and I usually just boot into it so it will automatically organize new files based on their ID3 tags.

Back