Problems Migrating from iMac G3 to iMac G5 (both osx)

Fredd

Registered
Hi,

I recently bought an iMac G5 it has 10.4.11 installed. I wanted to transfer a lot of data etc from my old iMac G3 (10.3.9). So i connected with firewire and started to transfer a lot of stuff manually e.g. iTunes library & iPhoto library. I then discovered the Migration Assistant, so I decided to give this a go thinking that it would either skip or overwrite anything I had manually copied over.

Well after awhile of transferring I came back to my new iMac to discover that there was barely any room left on the hard disk (the itunes & iphoto libraries must have doubled up?) also, now I can't access loads of software and folders that I could previously - there's a tiny "no entry" symbol on the icon to folders for example and when I click I get the message: "The folder ...... could not be opened because you do not have sufficient privileges". :mad:

Help. Can this be sorted out? Preferably without having to format the hard drive and start from scratch..

p.s. the new imac was set up with a different user name if thats any help

Did the Migration Assistant finish? How much free space is left on your iMac G5 HD? How much data is on your iMac G3 HD? How large is your iMac G5 HD?

Hi macworks,

Thanks for your reply.

I think I may be getting somewhere with the problem now though.

I located the duplicate iphoto & itunes libraries & although they had the "no entry" symbols attached, when I ctrl clicked them I could move them to the trash (after confirming the password). This freed up about 25gb straight away. I am now checking to see what else has been duplicated.

I have also discovered that I can access the other "no entry" folders by ctrl clicking & selecting duplicate. I can access the contents of the duplicate & trash the "no entry".

Phew..panic seems to be over :D

On another note, I am considering replacing the internal hard drive at some point. I was thinking about either the Seagate or the Maxtor 500gb 32mb cache SATA II, I believe these should be compatible but will I need to have the jumper setting at 1.5gb transfer & not 3gb? The imac is the 1.9ghz isight model.

I'd recommend Seagate or Hitachi ... steer as far away from Maxtor & Western Digital as possible!

Back