Problems with Linksys WAP Router and Bronze PB Airport

Mega_Doof

Registered
I've read the HOW-TO section and did a search on Linksys here in the forum, but I still have to ask a question, unfortunately.

I have a beige G3 and a Bronze Powerbook connected to a Linksys BEFW11S4 ver 2 WAP Router.

The beige G3 is connected via an ethernet cable. The PB can be connected either by an Ethernet cable or via an Airport card.

The Beige G3 gets out to the net no problem. The PB can access the net if it's connected via the cable, but can't via the Airport card.

The airport card detects the Linksys router OK. The menu bar shows 4 segments and the Airport control panel shows a 90% signal strength. The PB gets an IP address via DHCP, too, but it can't see anything "out there" (and that includes the Linksys configuration web page).

The Network panel is set to "Join a specific network" and it does find it (it uses the name I used in the config web page).

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

I've tried a few more things on this problem.

I unchecked all the network ports except for "AirPort" but that didn't help, either.

Do I need the latest Linksys firmware upgrade (11-15-2002 build)?

Does anyone have any ideas?

I don't have any of this hardware, but:

From my experience with LinkSys, the latest firmware is always a good idea.

Beyond that, check the router's web interface and make sure that the 802.11b (Airport, WiFi) is enabled and routing to the internet, as this may or may not be the default. You might also try switching the authentication method (on both the router and the mac) to see if you're having problems authenticating. From what you described, it seems as though the 802.11b cards see each other, but either don't connect, or once connected, the traffic is not routed properly. You should probably also be sure that the router is issuing addresses to the 802.11b interface.

Hope this helps!

-alex.

lol i have the EXACT same configuration... works fine for me... of course I don't have the encryption on yet....

Make sure you set up 2 "locations" for your network config one for ethernet and one for wireless... then make sure its trying to connect to the internet via airport....
also make sure the number of DHCP users is set to 3 or more (for some reason with it set to 2 it doesnt work wireless...) also make sure your mac address for the airport is not on any of the "filter" lists in the advaced setup pages....
IM me if your having problems ... AIM cq107

Wel, it turns out the latest firmware upgrade was what was needed.

Works great and i can walk up the street 4 houeses and still have a 50% strength signal.

Whoo and hoo!

Originally posted by Mega_Doof
Works great and i can walk up the street 4 houeses and still have a 50% strength signal.
And your neighbors and wardrivers do too. :) Make sure your network is as secure as you can make it. WEP isn't very good, but it's better than not having it on. That is, unless you WANT to share your wireless, which is a cool thing to do.

Cheers,
John

I seem to have a similar problem, I can hardwire and connect to the linksys WRT54GL but I can not connect wirelessly, I am not sure what I am doing wrong , the airport has always worked so simply elsewhere. I have set up a seperate locale , I don't know where to make sure the DHCP is set to more than 2 users though as someone suggested.

Back