problems with newest iTune 8.2.1

Brownin

Registered
Hi everyone!
Not sure if this have been asked, i couldn't find anything in the forum search... I've noticed since i've done the latest OSX and iTune updates on my Macbook, that iTune will often freeze, esp if i have it running along any other apps, such as safari, firefox, or just even if my screen saver comes on while the music plays. The activity monitor will show iTune as Not Responding.. therefore i always have to Force Quit the application. if I dont do so, the whole system will freeze and i'll require to reboot it with the power button..

anyone else noticing this problem? I noticed that my other macbook pro does the same, thought I'd throw the question out there and see if other ppl are experiencing the same issue.

thanks,
B

Np problem here on my Macs (in my Signature). I was wondering hoe much RAM you have in the Mac Book? Plus have you ever done any software maintenance on your Mac?

i have 2.5 GB of hard drive. could you explain what you mean by software maintenance? I do the upgrades and only use it mainly for photography. but without running any application, other than Firefox, i had my itune open and it was fine for a while... then out of the blue it was starting to freeze again with firefox but when i checked the activity monitor, itune was the culprit causing it. also had 5.0 in the cpu column where the other apps were all 0.

it doesn't do like when you use heavy software, and it gets slower, fan kicks in. it doesn't make the fan run or anything like that and so far, if i have only itune open and no apps, is when it does it less, but it will start if i'm listening to music while a screen saver might come on for example...

could be that i need to reinstall it.. or my ram is problematic.

thanks for your input

I mean the free software program like Onyx or Yasu and run all the cleaning routines. Once the program restarts, manually restart to completely rebuild your startup/shutdown cache.

This kind of maintenance should be done about once every three months to keep some cache files for growing to big and foiling up.

Plus do have any third party plugins for iTunes? Also you can go to /Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/ and throw out the file com.apple.iTunes.plist to see if that helps.

Good Luck.

i have 2.5 GB of hard drive.

If you mean by that statement you have 2.5GB of free HD space, that could be part of your problem. You are supposed to have 10-15% free HD space at all times. 2.5GB is only enough free HD space for a 20GB hard drive which I'm positive your HD is much larger than that.

ooooooops, i really meant RAM and NOT harddrive here, sorry about that. i sound like a dumb ass now lol! of course i'm aware i need enough HD space, which i do (good to mention it still). i just have a hard time listening to music and using other apps. could be a software maintenance thing, i'll try that cos i never done it in 2 years... could simply be a corrupt file somewhere.

thanks to you both, i'll keep you posted.

Last edited:
just a quick update; i noticed a weird noise was coming up from the hd, the kind of noise you hear before it usually dies. so i didn't take any chances, i tried to use the time machine to redo another back up, and guess what? it would fail. :( def. a hard drive issue. so i backed up as much as i could manually file by file, with only a very few that wouldn't copy. I bought a new laptop hard drive, time for an upgrade anyways since i only had a 120GB, which wasn't enough, i got a 320GB ready to move in :)

Thank you very much for your help guys, this forum is always useful.

Back