Processor Upgrade

Paul C

Registered
I'm thinking about upgrading my processor as I have recently got into DVD/Video editing, problem is when I try to encode a DVD in Toast 6 Titanium it take forever, I can get a Sonnet Encore 1ghz for $210, do you think that is a good deal and will it help much?

It's not the processor slowing down your burning but your burner itself, or the throughput connection between it and the computer. Is it external? Usually external cd/dvd burners are MUCH slower than their internal counterparts, from what I have seen.

Yes, it will speed up the encoding time that Toast 6 takes to encode the DVD -- but, as Natobasso said, it won't speed up the burning time -- that's dependent on the speed of the DVD burner you have.

Your computer, going from 400MHz to 1GHz, will be roughly twice as fast. If you're serious about DVD/Video editing, get the processor upgrade first, then go back and max out your RAM at 1.5GB (or is it 2GB?).

$210 for a 1GHz upgrade isn't a bad deal at all.

To be honest it burns quite fast, it's an external lacie writer (8x) but it's the encoding time that takes forever.

I think I'll get the upgrade cos it's killing me having to wait hours and hours for Toast to encode the DVD.

Thanks for the help guys :)

"I think I'll get the upgrade cos it's killing me having to wait hours and hours for Toast to encode the DVD".

Me thinks even after you upgrade it will still take hours and hours to encode the DVD. :rolleyes: It seems to be the nature of the beast.

Matt

Naah -- my old G4/400 PCI machine takes about 6 hours to encode a video. My friend's dual 1GHz G4 does it in about an hour and a half. Processor speed is probably the BIGGEST deciding factor in how long a DVD takes to encode.

Kool, I bought the 1ghz upgrade but it's coming from San Jose, USA so I'll probably have to wait about 2 weeks for it :(

Any tips on changing the chip/heatsink? ;)

Hi,

Considering a processor upgrade for G-4 667, particularly the OWC Mercury G4 Extreme 1.2 Ghz

or the

Sonnet Encore/ST 1.2 Ghz.

2-3 years ago MacWorld rated the OWC Mercury number 1, although that might have been when System 10 first appeared.

Will much appreciate any experiences anyone has had with either upgrade.

Thanks much,
Adonsa

I just recently installed the OWC 1.2Ghz Mercury exteme into my Quicksilver 733. It was a piece of cake. No problem at all.The OWC video was a big help. Just follow the directions. OWC tech support was also great..

Back