Quicken - Delete Duplicate Transactions!

Pbody

Registered
There does not seem to be an application that finds and deletes duplicates entires. Impoted QIF files often creae thoudands of duplicates. The only solution I have heard is to export and open in Excel and then import it back into quicken but other data is lost hrough this conversion. Any help would be appreciated. I have a seven year old data file littered with duplicate transactions.

New Member - Pbody (Thanks) :(

The best advice is to find a forum directly related to Quicken. Poke around on their web sites.

That said, here's the big question. Is everything reconciled up to near the present date? If your answer is No, I think you're out of luck.

If the answer is Yes, you can use "Save a copy" to close out all accounts from, say, earlier than 2007. Then you would have only this year's duplicates to delete the hard way to get everything ship-shape. Yes, you will "lose" all that history, in the sense that you will have to open a backup to consult the stuff.

The advantage is you'll have a much smaller data-file. I had to do this a few years ago when Quicken got so slow it was virtually unusable.

I import several QIFs a month and I try, although I don't always succeed, to specify a date range to avoid overlaps. Good luck.

Do your financial institutions not work with direct download? That is the best way to not have duplicates. Otherwise, do as Whitehill suggested and work on your date ranges. Or, maybe just download the "current statement" once a month when you statement closes, rather than several downloads throughout the month.

Back