RAM capacity on new Motherboards...

Stridder44

Universal Traveler
This can be seen on Macrumors.com...

ZeeOwl provides a translation of the latest motherboard rumor from MacBidouille:

OK, take this with a major dose of salt, as usual.

The dual-processor motherboards should have 8 memory slots in all. There seems to be 4 per processor. These slots are currently compatible with 4 GiB memory modules. Therefore we should have a maximum memory capacity of 32 GiB !!

We have no clue how the Mac will manage it's RAM. We don't know if each processor will have it's own dedicated Twin Bank memory allocation, or if the two groups of 4 slots will be combined to form one large Twin Bank.

The question now remains: How much will the ultimate PowerMac 970 configuration with 32 GiB of RAM cost?"

I...don't know what to say about this...but what are your opinions on this...aside from 32GiB BEING FREAKING INSANE?:confused::p

Hmm...I remember when I thought 1GB of RAM was insane...now I have 1.5. :p

Sounds cool, but really, you gotta wait for the 970s to come out before even wondering how it's all going to go together.

While 32 gb might sound like a lot, remember that the more you have, the faster it runs. For servers, imagine having 5gig of memory set aside to cache highly used files. For home/laptop use, imagine being able to spin down ALL hard drives and use a RAM partition for system files, applications and documents.. And while this may seem a lot, the IBM zSeries 990 (a mainframe weighing between 110 and 200 Kg) has a minimum of 8Gb of ram, and goes up to 256Gb. More RAM is always good.

Originally posted by Pengu
While 32 gb might sound like a lot, remember that the more you have, the faster it runs. For servers, imagine having 5gig of memory set aside to cache highly used files. For home/laptop use, imagine being able to spin down ALL hard drives and use a RAM partition for system files, applications and documents.. And while this may seem a lot, the IBM zSeries 990 (a mainframe weighing between 110 and 200 Kg) has a minimum of 8Gb of ram, and goes up to 256Gb. More RAM is always good.

That makes sense...hm...it would be cool to have a portion of your HD on the RAM. I wonder what type of RAM it will be tho...

Originally posted by Stridder44
Therefore we should have a maximum memory capacity of 32 GiB !!
For a personal computer? Somehow I doubt it.

Originally posted by arden
For a personal computer? Somehow I doubt it.

Bill Gates said personal computers will never need more that 640 kB of memory. You've probably heard about that one, but still you're walking in the same trap ;)

I didn't say they never will support that. I just said that for a personal computer, in the near future, I don't think it will necessarily support 32 GB of RAM... maybe 4-8 GB, if I had to guess.

Back