Ram prices are ridiculous!!

theCaptain

Member that enjoys Meece
WTF, why did Ram prices just rocket up. 256mb just went up by like 25 dollars. This sucks!!!:mad: :mad:

Buy a Mac, PAY THE PRICE!

Guess what slick, those prices are right off Crucial.com and are generic ram listings.

BlingBling this is not directed at you sorry for the confusion.

manic, you are pathetic. We use the same RAM you do in almost every case (except perhaps for some notebooks). It costs no more to upgrade RAM in a Mac than it does in a Windows machine. You are making a fool of yourself, so watch out.

ManicDVLN,

I support you when you're right and I correct you when you're wrong. However, over the last week or so I think I've seen your posts turn from an enlightened "other side of the story" viewpoint to silly taunts.

C'mon ManicDVLN, knock it off. Some of your comments are wrong and most of them are written purely to get a rise out of the board. You're losing my respect.

Vanguard

Noc, to answer your question the new iMac comes with both a DIMM slot and an SO-DIMM slot, im am not certain as to wether the DIMM slot is accessible by just unscrewing the bottom, because thats where the Airport slot and SO-DIMM slot are located. When you buy the new iMac the DIMM slot will be filled and the SO-DIMM will be left free, unless of course you choose to have in excess of 256mb.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is SO-DIMM ram and how does it differ from regular SDRAM? Can I transfer PC-133 ram from my G3 to a new iMac?

so-dimm are smaller... usally used for laptops, but in this they are being used for their size as the iMacs base doesn't really have room for the full size dimm chips.

for cheap ram always check places like:

www.pricewatch.com
www.ramseeker.com

anyone who pays more than the prices listed at those places is getting ripped off.

but at the root of the topic... yes, ram prices have recently gone up. oh well... if you hadn't stocked up by now... too bad. the prices before were so low it was insane. (i now have 896 mb!)

and manic... why don't you go and flash your bios or do something PC like... macs use the same chips as the common pcs do.

I just had a look at the tech specs:
"128MB or 256MB of SDRAM expandable to 1GB; one factory installed 168-pin DIMM and one open user-accessible SO-DIMM slot"

So I guess there is actually room for more SDRAM. Although whether the SDRAM expansion slots are user-accessible remains to be seen.

i'm confused... what do I have to put in my NEW iMac to get it to it's full 1GB potential... i'm used to buying the kind at the local Sams Club Warehouse Outlet (where no macs will be found in sight)!

I believe you will need if im not mistaken 1 512mb SO-DIMM and one 512mb DIMM to fill the new iMacs to a gigabyte. Im not 100% sure though.

in case there is any confusion, both will probably be user accessible, just one more so than the other. My 266 imac had one supposedly un accessible but it wasn't dificult to get to it, once you figured out how cause they don't include instructions.

oh and my sig says 190 which I upgraded over the weekend to 256

Does anyone have any idea when ram prices will lower again? I would like to up all machines to a gig but their is no way in hell I will do it with prices like this. I mean I have seen a 256 dimm module on crucial.com priced at like 26 dollars before this nonsense. What the hell is going on?

Back