remote to control AirTunes/AirPort Express!!!

quiksan

awesomer...
as in all my posts, I'll preface with: If this is in the wrong topic, sorry, and please move.

so, I've had my airport express 24 hours now. It's pretty awesome. I'm loving listening to all my music so easily. I usually leave my powerbook on the bar/counter in my kitchen, so it's not TOO far away to change the track order or playlist if I want to.

BUT -
it just hit me!
Now I'm using my BT cell phone and Salling Clicker (I know there are other apps - even free - that work like Salling Clicker, but that's what I've got) to have a wireless remote to control my iTunes, over my home stereo. (well I think it's cool at least)
combine that with SLEEPLESS, and I can have my laptop closed, running iTunes/AirTunes, and controlled by Salling Clicker/my BT cell phone. nice.

I know, it's no wifi iPod or something elegantt like that (maybe someday, right?), but it works for me. just thought I'd share, in case no one else has had that 'duh!' moment yet.

I thought of something like this too, but the low bluetooth range spoiled everything (esspecially when I am surrounded by massive concrete walls and the next room is more far away than 10m..) :(

I think I'm misinterpreting what you're saying - you were aiming the Salling Clicker at the 'Book or at the AirPort Express terminal?

I wasn't aware of BT connectivity in the AExp device...

yeah - what zammy said.

i'm just remote controlling my powebook/itunes with my phone.

I know there are other ways to control your powerbook, this was just my idea.

My Airport Express should arrive sometime this week and I'm excited to see if:

iHam on Rye 2.0

works or not. No reason it shouldn't so if you have a desktop serving up the majority of your music and you have users on laptops, this sounds like the way to go for shared remote control...

Cheers.

There are bunch out there, it seems. This one seems to get reasonably good reviews as well if you are looking for cross-platform support (controlled through a web browser).

iTunes webRemote

Still waiting for confirmation of my shipment...

I trust that you are aware that there may be heat issues with running your laptop with the screen down? Heat is diffused through the keyboard and leaving the lid closed may cause the thing to get too hot, or damage the screen, or both. If you're aware of those risks and don't think it's a big deal, cool. But if not just wanted to make sure you were informed.

Lazarus, do you have a link supporting this? It somehow doesn't make sense to me, that the keyboard is used to transfer the heat. The used materials are not really suitable for such a "duty". And somehow neither my ibooks nor the tibooks keyboard of mine are getting seriously hot. True, the disc does heat up the cover, but for that the lid doesn't touch it but leaves a tiny gap which should be enough to not isolate and collect the heat. And hey, if the screen was that sensitive, you wouldn't be allowed to use your books outside under the sun.
But I would love to read and learn more about this, if you can post a link..

As far as I know a couple of people on these boards told about the damage the heat did to their laptop screen, after they had it running with closed lid for a certain amount of time (for example in Firewire mode). I don't think that the keyboard is the problem.. it is the heat that builds up. The room between Powerbook base and lid is to close to provide decent air flow. It seems logical, heat is hot air which tries to "escape" while moving "upwards" and is hold of by the screen and forced slowly to move to the side.

Sorry, if my explanation doesn't make much sense, my english skills are sub par at this daytime.

Back