Remove Folder View Options in Panther

MMak

Registered
I'm currently running Mac OS 10.3.1 on a 15" 1GHz Titanium Powerbook. Before I upgraded from Jaguar to Panther, I backed up all my personal files onto DVDs. After I loaded all my files onto Panther, the folder view options are the same as in Jaguar.

How can I remove all the folder view preferences? What I don't like now is that when I click into my "backed up files", the icons sizes are 32x32, instead of 48x48. I've tried to select the "All Windows", so that the changes could be applied to all folders. But the setting only applies to that window.

Thanks in advance.

Well, the problem would be that the Window Settings were burned to the DVD along with the data, and since the DVD is no longer writeable (so the Finder can't write the new preferences to the .DS_Store file on the DVD), you're stuck with the view that you used when you burned it.

It's the same as if you pop in a CD like PhotoShop or something like that -- the CD always opens in the same view, no matter what settings you fiddle with.

Edit: after re-reading your post, I get the feeling that the view options you talk about are for the folders that you copied BACK to your hard drive from the DVD. You could try removing the .DS_Store files from those folders with a utility like Cocktail, available from http://www.versiontracker.com. It has the ability to delete .DS_Store files from certain directories (.DS_Store files hold the "view" preferences you'd like to set).

Your edit post was exactly what I meant, thanks. I've tried downloading a utiltiy to remove the ds_store files. They are removed, but they remain in "list view" and when I turn them back to "icon view" the icons are still 32x32 instead of 48x48. I've also tried deleting all ds_store files in my "Home" folder.

I'd like to reset all the folder view options.

Any other suggestions?

Is there a way to set all files/folders in a certain directory as "icon view"? I've asked this in Jaguar, but it didn't seem to exist, so now I've upgraded to Panther, hoping it has this option.

Back