Removing 'Previous Systems' -i give up!

josefa

Registered
Tried Terminal using rm and of course dragged everything to the trash. Is there something Apple recommends when upgrading to 10.2 using the clean install with backup old system method? I've got this lump of 1.5 gigs of harddrive space i can't free up.

Thanks anyone.

drag the previous folder to the trash

or stay logged in as yourself
drag the previous folder onto Batchmod
make you the owner with R W X and apply owner ship to enclosed files and click unlock
relaunch the finder (it doesn't update sometimes)
drag the folder the trash and you shouldn't get permission denied errors

Thanks. I was about to go through those steps when I found a thread about invoking root's right from the command line. Following the example, I used 'sudo rm -f -R Previous\ System'. After asking me for the password, it deleted everything. Not exactly sure what sudo does, but it worked. If anyone else runs into the same problem, it may be notable to try 'sudo'. Thanks for the help. Learning more everyday.

J

"sudo" is short for "SuperUser" and "Do". It's like temporarily becoming root to execute the command immediately following "sudo."

Oh, I take some college courses when time permits (Computer Science/Electrical Engineering masjor) and freelance out of my home (graphic design/pre-press). I worked for a few pre-press houses around town, and that's my specialty...

Back