Renaming songs in iTunes while keeping album order...

Uduckhead

Registered
After recently uploading an album to iTunes I found that the tracks annoyingly had their respective track numbers before the song titles, ie "01 - Song, 02 - Song," etc. But when I tried to take the numbers out it rearranged the songs alphabetically. How do I rename them while maintaining the song order of the album?

Thanks.

First don't rename them first after the move. The first thing after they are in iTunes drop them tracks into a new Playlist. In the Playlist click on the number column. This will arrange by track number. Then re-name the tracks. I have several albums recorded and the are the track CD order of the CD in the iTunes Playlists.

I'm not sure what you're saying: if you're referring to the way the tracks appear in the Finder, then you really shouldn't be fiddling in there; let iTunes manage files however it likes. If you're referring to how they appear in iTunes itself, click the "Artist" column and it will order the songs first by artist, then by album, then by the track order on the album (but you'll have to get the ID3 tags set to the right numbers).

Hope this helps :).

Uduckhead said:
How do I rename them while maintaining the song order of the album?
Make sure that each song has an appropriate ID3 track number. If you organize by "Artist" or "Album" after that, then they should appear in album order.

Back