Replacing keyboard HELP

mindgame486

Registered
i made the stupid mistake of getting soda in my keys so i have to replace my keyboard...i know the process is easy but does anyone know or have an existing thread that shows the easiest way to do it? i have a 17" powerbook G4

THANKS

you don't need to persee replace the keyboard...

someone once spilled almost a full beer over my powerbook.
i immediately put it upside-down and pulled all plugs and batteries from the machine.

then i removed the keyboard, and suspended in a warm water and rinsed/washed it throughly, left it to dry for a few days (!!!!!) and voila, it (almost) worked fine again.

almost, because in my case the beer also got inside the tiny rubber thingies underneeth the keys, so that some got sticky. so i repeated the process, but also pulled-off all the keys.

it's a bit time-consuming, but since i don't have a television i anyway have about 4 hours/day more to spend then the average person.. :)

haha well i did try some of your steps when it first happened and i thought everything was good but the next morning my space bar and basically the whole left side of my keyboard was so stick and really hard to push down the letters so i ordered a new keyboard anyway...i wouldnt be able to live with a mac with a messed up keyboard ha

i made the stupid mistake of getting soda in my keys so i have to replace my keyboard...i know the process is easy but does anyone know or have an existing thread that shows the easiest way to do it? i have a 17" powerbook G4

THANKS

If you can't get your k/b clean, make sure you buy the right model k/b, since there are 3 to chose from (http://www.dvwarehouse.com/Powerbook-G4-Keyboards-c-253_238_244_544.html) for choices. I broke one of my keys off, and as the k/b had been subjected to soda, dirt, cat hair, etc. anyway, got a new one from ebay for a penny, plus $10 shipping 2 weeks ago. It's very easy to replace - "even a middle-aged lady" - can do it :)

If you have any questions, let me know, and I'll put you in contact with a friend who is very good at this stuff.

Good Luck!

Back