replacing powerbook display..

arri

Registered
hi all

i have a 550Mhz powerbook g4 with a toasted graphics-card, which will sometimes show cristal-clear image, and sometimes Mondriaan-like graphical patterns inbstead of the desktop. and sometimes it won't even boot.
then i also have a 667Mhz powerbook g4, 2nd generation with DVI-video with a broken display.

i wonder if i can swap the screen of the first powerbook to the second. would that work?
physically it looks like it will fit since the connectors seem to be identical.
but would the screen actually work? since the motherboards and graphic-cards of both computers are different.

i don't want to go through the procedure of swapping the display with the risk of breaking something else, just to find-out that it's not going to work...

any thoughts?
thanks
arri

i don't know. most lcds have manifacture numbers on them, its a little while sticker on the back. you could check to see if they are the same, or google the numbers to see if they are similar lcds. my only thing is that i don't know where the inverters are on the screens, and the voltages could be different for the screens and backlights. would hate to blow one out, or not have enough to power it up.

the screens are different. the 2nd generation 550 mhz pb has a 1152x768 resolution, and the 3rd generation 667 mhz g4 pb a resolution of 1280x854.
apart from that, the graphics-chip seems to be the same (ATI Radeon 7500 Mobility) but the 3rd gen. has 32Mb vram instead of the 16 in the 2nd generation pb..

i finally replaced the lcd-panel, and it works great for about 2 months now..
..except for one thing. it happened to me twice now;

i had a kernel panic (did something stupid while compiling/running an xcode project) and after the reboot, the pb saw the 1152x768 lcd panel as the original 1280x854 one. i somehow managed to reverse this by doing reset-all in open firmware while i had a external 17" flatpanel connected, but this was pure coincidence, because the second time this happened i couldn't repeat this process, although again i managed to get things straight again...

if i know exactly how to get the pb to recognize the right panel i'll post it here.

also, see this thread:
http://macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272498

Back