Resolving errors by re-installing OSX

bubbajim

Mac-Junkie
I have read elsewhere that you can install OS X ontop of your current installation and that it will replace the core files of the system and leave your current data and applications intact. Has anyone done this? If so to what extent did the re-install actually re-install. I know I would really of loved it back in the office if Windows would actually worked this way.

I have issues with some mis-configurations with sendmail and possibly other services though not serious to operation, do cause lag and overall are annoying. Issues I am having are also appearently profile related, so I may just delete the user and create a new one. If anyone has had to re-install OS X for the very same reason and have encountered any success or failures in your attempt, I would like to hear about them.

sidenote: I have been reading the threads on this site for quite some time over the year and have finally decided to register and use the resources of this wonderful community.

Thanks for whatever help anyone provides.

Bubbajim

I have reinstalled OS X over an existing version about half a dozen times. It cures a lot of ills, especially with incorrectly altered permissions or ill-conceived attempts to hack system files.
The only items you will "lose" by reinstalling are hacks that affect the default system setup, such as themes and the transparent dock.
However, if you are experiencing problems in one user account but not in others, then you probably will not benefit from a reinstallation. Rather, you should create a new user, and gradually copy over files from the problem user's account.

I had some probs w/ stupid stuff I did (basically I screwed the dock beyond repair), and the first time I reinstalled 10.1 (I eventually had to reformat & start from scratch) I lost all my users. However, I did not lose them when I upgraded to 10.1 the first time (using a full-install CD). I'm not sure of the how's/why's, but this has been my experience.

Thanks for the input.

I'll try the 'create new user' first to see if I can verify that the issue laid only in that profile. I like the idea of re-installing though, since I have hacked around too and would like to ensure that everything is back to normal.

dont forget to run software update, you'll have to do this twice, (IE + security UD and installer UD) and possibly re-install itunes 2.0.1.

Back