Ripping CDs with iTunes in batch

zwheeloc

Registered
Is it possible to rip CDs, get the info from CDDB, and go to the next CD? I would like to take a 400 disk CD player which could hook up to the Mac and then one by one go through each of the CDs until all the CDs have been ripped.

I would like to know if:

1) this would be possible
2) what multi-CD players are compatible with the Mac
3) would an Applescript script need to be written and if so what would the code be?

I have over 200+ CDs and it would take me several days to go through all of them. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Zeff Wheelock

Well I'm not sure about the logistics of connecting your hardware, since I don't know how the CD reader will interact with OS X. That is, if it will try and mount all 400 CDs at once, or if it will go through each one by one. That's probably configurable in your hardware or driver settings somewhere (DIP switches? ;))

As for iTunes, I can guess you could try setting "On CD Insert" in the "Preferences: General" section to "Import CD and Eject". This way, assuming you have configured your CD reader bank, will cause the first CD to be read, imported, and 'ejected' thereby switching to the next CD.

Just out of curiosity, what (legal) application could you have for ripping so many CDs at once? :p

Originally posted by michaelsanford
Well I'm not sure about the logistics of connecting your hardware, since I don't know how the CD reader will interact with OS X. That is, if it will try and mount all 400 CDs at once, or if it will go through each one by one. That's probably configurable in your hardware or driver settings somewhere (DIP switches? ;))

Are there any CD Readers that support 400 CDs? I know that there are 400 CD players, but do they have a computer interface? A USB or Firewire port?

As for iTunes, I can guess you could try setting "On CD Insert" in the "Preferences: General" section to "Import CD and Eject". This way, assuming you have configured your CD reader bank, will cause the first CD to be read, imported, and 'ejected' thereby switching to the next CD.

That would work, but would not get the information about the CD. That is why I thought that an Applescript which would go out to CDDB and get the information would have to be created. Right now, you have to manually select the option to get the CDDB information.

Just out of curiosity, what (legal) application could you have for ripping so many CDs at once? :p

It is my ultimate plan to eventually have a whole house audio/video setup with the Macintosh at the helm. Currently, I do not have speakers in each room, but there are products which will allow me to play music to my Titanium Powerbook (albeit with headphones on as the sound quality sucks on the inboard speakers). So, i could be up in bed and listen to music which would reside on my main computer in the basement.

Zeff Wheelock

Cool idea!

Sorry about not accessing CDDB, I thought if it ripped the CD it would get the track names first (silly Apple).

Good luck!

<FYI> Steve demoed a future version of iTunes that was rendevouz enabled and would let you stream you main Mac's music (over say Airport) to another mac running iTunes. He said this would show up on a "6 months timeframe."

My guess is that we'll see som sort of announcement at MWSF.

Philips also menitoned support for rendevous to do things like stream music to stereo components and pictures to TVs.....
</FYI>

Back