rtfd display

lbrandt

Registered
RTFD files are actually folders which contain text and related images, movies, or sound. They are supposed to appear in the Finder as a single entity with an icon. However, I've somehow lost the ability to deal with RTFD files as single files,; instead, they appear as a folder. Getting Info on the folder does not allow me to change its parent application, as one can do with single files. RTFD files should be readable by Text Edit, or another editing application like Text Edit Plus.

Don't know how I got into this state. Any ideas on fixing this?

Thanks.

Hmmm... have you tried the usual things: repairing permissions; repairing the disk; restarting the computer; trashing Finder preferences?

When mentioning the 'usual things', also mention creating a test user. Because that way you can easily decide whether a complete reinstall is necessary or you have to track the problem down in your user's home folder...

Ah yes, Fryke's right -- creating a new user and testing the behavior under that new user can narrow down the problem. If the new user works properly, then chances are something with the old user profile is causing the problem. Situations like these usually mean the problem can be fixed relatively easy -- the tough part is finding out what exactly is causing the problem!

You may want to try those things, and I would recommend this order, starting with the easiest fixes and moving on from there:

1. Repair Permissions
2. Restart the computer
3. Trash Finder preferences
4. Repair the disk by booting from the OS X install CD and running Disk Utility
5. Create a new user to compare behavior

Well, I've repaired permissions, done a disk check with Disk Utility after booting with a Panther CD, run Disk Warrior after booting with it, and trashed Finder's permissions, all to no avail.

A complete re-install is a pain in the ass so I'll probably just live with it.

Thanks for the suggestions in any case.

Back