Safari crashes again and again and again and...

ManosLondonUK

Registered
Hi all.

First of all, let me say a big hello to everyone! This is a fantastic site which I'v often been browsing and today I've joined! Well done for the good work, I'm glad to have joined you!

Now, I wonder if anyone out there has any ideas for some continuing Safari problems I'm having. Whenever I go to a page with a Java applet, Safari crashes instantly. Any page with applets that is. The same goes for any site with flash or shockwave. I have used all alternative User Agents in the debug menu but it made no difference. IE of course runs the same pages without any problems.

I thought it may be Java so I downloaded the latest version (1.4.1) and installed it both as root and as the admin user. When checking the IE page which lists all the pluggins, I get the following:

java.jpg

It doesn't mention Java 1.4.1 but then again the top mention could be Java 1.4.1. Or could it not?

When I try to see the installed pluggins page of Safari it crashes.

Anyone with any idea? Is Java not installing? What is causing Safari to crash? Is there a solution? Is there a God?

Thanx

Manos

Sounds like some problem with the plugins after all... Have you tried creating a new user with clean settings, just to try if it's a preferences problem? If not, do the following:

- Go to Apple-menu, System Preferences
- Go to Users
- Add a new user (with or without admin privs)
- Log out and login as that new user
- Start Safari and see if the problems are still there
- Log out and login as your normal user
- Remove the test user account

If the problems are _not_ there with the new user: Try moving all Safari prefs files you can find to the trash and start Safari. See if the problems are gone.

If the problems are there with the new user, too, remove all the plugins you have installed yourself and reinstall them (reDOWNLOAD them in fact).

See, the problem is not something 'usual', meaning that we've all got them. Java runs fine, usually, on my computer, my Safari.

Make sure that no browsers are currently running. Go into your user/Library/Preferences folder and find the file named 'com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist' and trash it. This file is known to cause problems with most browsers and the internet plug-ins from time to time, despite the fact it appears to be for quicktime plug-ins only Then launch Safari and check the installed Plug-ins. If this does not help, then delete 'com.apple.internetconfig.plist' in the same folder. You would then need to reset some of your basic internet settings - such as download folder location, and your defualt browser settings. The first file should do it.
Your installed Plug-ins in Safari should show listings for both Java 1.3.1 and 1.4.1

Guys thanks ever so much for your advice and your time! It seems that the com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist file was causing the problem! I've visited a number of pages that would cause Safari to crash and they opened fine, no problems! Also, the plugins page does now show Java 1.4.1!

Your help is greatly appreciated, thanks again!

Manos :)

Back