Safari & Java 1.4.1

MMak

Registered
I've recently downloaded and installed Java 1.4.1 using the Software Update in the System Preferences.

Although when I go into my Safari browser and look under "Installed Plug-Ins" it still lists the "Java Plug-in (CFM) and Java Plug-in" to still be version 1.3.1. Although the listing below for "Java Plug-in for Cocoa" is 1.4.1. Is this normal? Can I update the other two to 1.4.1?

I'm trying to run a web-based stock application that requires at least Microsoft VM version 5.0.0.3167 on a PC. Is there an equivalent of this in the Mac platform?

I'm entirely new to Macs so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

BTW, if it makes any difference, I am running Mac OS 10.2.6 on a Powerbook.

Yeah.. i understand your problem. Im a switcher too. But ive realized that applications for the mac often carry a lower version number but do much the same as a PC-counterpart with a higher version number! Like messenger 3.5 on mac does all that messenger 5 can on PC!!

You can surf the entire web with that plug-in and never worry about having an 'older version' of the application. Version numbers dont matter!

If you have any more questions, mail me at AbsarShah@softhome.net . I recently also changed my email ID, so this forum is a hard way to reach me :)

I guess I should rephrase my question.

I was wondering why only 1 (the Java Plug-in for Cocoa) was updated to version 1.4.1 and the rest are 1.3.1. Is there a way to update the other two to 1.4.1 or it won't do that?

I'm trying to update any possible Java-related items on the browser so I can try to load that web-based Java application to see if it really doesn't work on a Mac platform.

Right now, both versions are kept on the machine. Safari should use the 1.4.1 plugin for almost everything.

Don't try to delete the old version, that could mess things up - I think the new version uses some of the files from the old version (not 100% on that one, though).

Back