safari - saving ALL of a web page

redkite

Registered
Help, I can't save complete web pages with safari 1.0. They do not include everything, only text and the basic layout ie no icons/graphics etc. Is there a way of setting up safari to save complete pages like IE or is it supposed to be like this. I know you can use bookmarks but pages can be deleted/become unavailable at a later time. I'm using 10.2.4.

A PDF version is not the same thing. Having to open another app (acrobat) takes ages as well. It seems Safari can't save complete webpages properly then. Thats pathetic. If Internet explorer can, why can't Safari do it?

Fahrvergnuugen said:
simple.

apple-p -> save as PDF

this will create a PDF of the webpage exactly how it appears.

uhh, who said anything about acrobat?? Acrobat sucks.

why would you want to save a webpage as anything besides a pdf? Storing a page and all of its supporting image, css, etc files is no where near as nice or convenient as saving ONE pdf file in my opinion.

yeah your right, no acrobat needed; you just hit print - save as PDF. looks ok in preview too - better that ac reader. but its not a functioning web page (links etc) which is what you should be able to have if you want.

redkite said:
It seems Safari can't save complete webpages properly then. Thats pathetic. If Internet explorer can, why can't Safari do it?

redkite said:
but its not a functioning web page (links etc) which is what you should be able to have if you want.

Probably because it's not a very widely used feature, and when it is used it's generally for 'theft' purposes. You know stealing layouts, code, or images. Just because it's a web page accessible online to the general public doesn't mean a person has the right to keep a local copy of it.

Why exactly is there a need to keep it working locally?

you can't steal something thats free and isn't protected by a password... even if its copyrighted. the copyright prevents you from reusing the material in a work of your own or something like that.

Fahrvergnuugen said:
you can't steal something thats free and isn't protected by a password... even if its copyrighted. the copyright prevents you from reusing the material in a work of your own or something like that.

Password protection has absolutely no bearing on the matter actually. Websites (code, images, & content) are not free for any use seen fit. They may be free for you to view, but unless otherwise noted (Creative Commons license, copyright release, etc.) they're still the property of the designer or owner.

Regardless, the only real reason to want a full copy of a site (other than a static file such as PDF for archival purposes) is to be able to use it in a manner which it was not intended to be used for. Be it stealing code or content.

I disagree, there are times when I've wanted a copy of a site to read while I'm away from an internet connection.

Password protection has absolutely no bearing on the matter actually. Websites (code, images, & content) are not free for any use seen fit.

actually, you don't know what you are talking about.

saving a web page as a PDF to your hard drive, even if its copyrighted is totally legal. if it were illegal, the it would be illegal for web browsers to have a cache. offline browsing would also be illegal, which it isn't.

you're not committing copyright infringement if its for personal use like school or research. as long as you're not selling it, etc, its legal. the password gives the owner right to privacy, like a key for a lock.

I think what you are looking for is something like WebGrabber. It doesn't grab "through" Safari or any other browser, it just grabs most everything from a site straight from an HTTP connection.

It is a 0.7 release (from 2002), but it works. I have had issues with graphics... evaporating (leaving 0 k place holders), but I fix it by moving the site to another part of the disk (or on to a disk image).

In the end you end up with all the HTML, graphics and directory structure of the site you wanted. I have archived sites that I knew would someday disappear from the internet.

As for some of the "legal" issues brought up here, once on the internet for public view, it is fine to down load sites... infact, that is EXACTLY what web browsers are doing. No browser "views" a site on the server, it downloads the information to your system to display the pages. This app is not doing anything different... other than not displaying the downloaded pages. And you have the same access privileges you would (or wouldn't) have in a browser.

At any rate, it is a useful tool from a long time Mac OS X (and Rhapsody) developer who I think now works at Apple as I recall).

Fahrvergnuugen said:
actually, you don't know what you are talking about.

saving a web page as a PDF to your hard drive, even if its copyrighted is totally legal....

I was talking about the source code, not the PDF.

There is a need for saving pages or Internet Explorer would not have the VERY useful 'scrapbook' feature which is quick and easy to use. Is Microsoft breaking the law by having this feature ? The save as pdf feature is all very well but as I said before its not a webpage, is slow and its not possible to link back to the original page on the internet at a later time. So safari is flawed IMO.

Back