Scanner buying help please

karavite

Registered
Hi, I'm in the market for a scanner and was wondering if any of you nice macosx.com people could help me out.

The primary purpose of this scanner will be to scan photos that will be used in final cut pro (I'm pretending to be Ken Burns and am working on documentaries - though not about the Civil War). I would really like to have a firewire scanner, but I'm just not sure what resolution I really need (of course the higher the better) - some of these photos are small (wallet size) and older so I may need some flexibility in enlarging them after thay are scanned. At the same time, I am on a budget and would like to get away with $300ish - but not if I can't get the resolution I will need to eventually have these images on DVD. Am I asking for too much?

Thanks in advance!

karavite

I was just about to post the same query myself!

Guess I'll just jump on this bandwagon and see what happens.

I recently bought a low-end canon scanner (good enough for my work) and was really disappointed. Even though they claimed to have drivers that work in Mac Os X, these drivers wouldn't work under Jaguar. On trying VueScan, I found that most of the scan came up black, and I suspect the scanner itself is damaged. I will plug it into a PC tomorrow to find out for sure, but I'm pretty sure its going back to the shop.

Hey pigdog, great minds think alike! Are you scanning photos for video too?

I did get a reply from a Final Cut Pro forum regarding the Epson Perfection 2450 - it gets pretty good reviews all over the web and seems to be one of the few scanners that is all this - 2400 dpi, Firewire and affordable - $350 - $400, plus all Epson scanners work with Vuescan.

Plus it handles slides and negatives. There are plenty of scanners under $200 that do a nice job with images for the web and other tasks, but for what I'm looking to, this Epson seems to be the only one that meets all the things I was looking for.

whatever happened to the rumor that imagecapture was supposed to be used for scanners in Jaguar? supposedly it would work for scanners like it used to work for digital cameras (before iPhoto).

In particular, I want to scan film.

But I really want to make sure it's compatible with 10.2 before I hand over the cash.

pigdog and boi - I seem to run into you two all over the place!

I'm still checking things out and I'm not saying to get this particular Epson, but it does scan film, slides and negatives and I believe all Epsons are supported by VueScan (a little third party app that handles all kinds of scanners with OS X). I'll see if I can dig up more answers on 10.2 support and find a few other scanners to check out.

Back