Screwed up partition

coresnet

Registered
Hi all, i have screwed up my hard disk partitions while trying to make room for ubuntu installation. I had a 227GB mac os partition and a 22GB bootcamp partition with XP installed on it. Somehow i managed to stop the mac os partition shrinking and everything went wrong... Now i've got 11GB of free space on the big partition, the used space according to the Disk Utility is 216GB, although in reality i had used about 160GB before all this mess... So now i am loosing some 50+ GB of storage, please help me recover the space as it is very frustrating situation :( Thanks!

Q :
  • Have you lost any information in the process ?
  • Or do you have a backup of all your data ?
When you mess up a partition process, really the best thing to do is
  1. backup all your data to external HD
    (which you ought to have done before the re-partitioning)
  2. boot from a secondary media like CD or external HD
  3. re-format and re-partition the internal HD
  4. copy your stuff back

Last edited:
No, i haven't lost any information and i haven't made a backup :( Just this strange disk usage which is not real...

OK - DiskUtility will be unable to help you.

My personal experience is that iPartition is one of the best programs for messing around with partitions. Try to take a look at it if you don't want to re-format & re-partition the whole HD. Something is really screwy about your partition table and I'ld personally use the procedure I recommended in my previous post.

Back