See firewire tape drive

Whitehill

Registered
I have an Exabyte firewire tape drive which I use about once a month. So I power it down most of the time. When I turn it back on, my system won't see it unless I reboot. Is there a less drastic way to force the system to see the device?

Instead of simply turning it off, you could first disconnect it. Then, when you need it, turn it on and then connect it. That should trigger it.

VXA cartridges. Fryke, thanks for the suggestion - I'll try it as soon as I can.

Reel to reel!? I haven't seen one of those babies for 20 years.

Reel to reel!? I haven't seen one of those babies for 20 years.

I have. In fact I've used a couple as little as three years ago. :( Nothing beats the sound of a reel-to-reel tape drive; sort of like a vacuum cleaner with mountain bike tyres playing a really loud and violent game of ping-pong on a parquet floor. Believe me, they're still around.

I understand how tape drives work, but what's the real advantage of having something on tape instead of a magnetized disc?

Fryke: Thanks. It worked once. The 2nd time, it had vanished. Oh well ...

Qion: Here's a blurb from the vendor of my backup software.
We're not in favor of disk back ups because there's a reason why your backing up a hard disk and that's because they're prone to failure. To us it doesn't make sense then to store your information on another disk that's prone to the same failure except maybe for a temporary storage location until it gets moved to a more dependable media.

Back