Select All in Finder Large Number of files Takes Over System

dannywng

Registered
I am using Jaguar on an 800 mhz G4. When selecting large number of files in the Finder the process virtually takes over my entire system. I accidentally copied the contents of over 2,000 MP3 sounds to my desktop because I was clicking around while the spinning curser was active. It was taking forever so I rebooted so now when the Finder appears I have to wait while the spinning curser does it's thing .... it's been over 20 minutes .... still waiting for my Finder to be free so I can delete these files.

Anyone else experience this problem?
BTW I am typing this message on my other computer.

cheers,
Danny

Danny

How about logging in as console and deleting them from the command line? The desktop is at /users/[youraccountname]/desktop.

I'll stop at that point, though, because I'm a Unix newbie and I don't want to say something stupid. But, I did just buy O'Reilly's _Learning Unix on Mac OS X_. Excellent book.

Doug

Booted up with OS9 and deleted the files from my Jaguar desktop. In took me 3 seconds to move 2,400 files from one folder to another in OS9. I'm just disapported that the Finder in OS 10 is so pokey. It takes over a minute to move 100 files.

cheers,
Danny

Good old OS 9.

That was one of the reasons I bought my iMac before they removed the ability to boot to OS 9. That being said, I very rarely reboot into 9.

Back