Server's static IP address used by another device???

MickeyS

Registered
The following error comes up on the server's screen when I turn on the stations:
"IP 10.37.102.21 is used by 00:0d:95:34:ee:60"
Another device in my room or building is using the server's static IP address, this causes connectivity problems. I loose connection to the server. How do I find out what device is causing the problem and what do I do to resolve the issue? I am afraid it might be the CISCO 290XL switches used in the lab. I used ARD to check the Ethernet ID's and didn't come up with any workstation using that Ethernet ID or address.

Thanks

There's really no way to find out what machine it is unless you have a machine to MAC Address list somewhere. I assume that you're not in charge of the machines in the lab? I would suggest that you contact whoever owns the lab machines and ask them about it. They should know what machines have what IP address.

I do have a list of the machines with their Ethernet ID's but none of them match the ID I saw on the alert message. I am going to turn off the printers, maybe they are the devices causing the trouble. What I don't understand is, why there is another device with the server's IP if the server has a unique static address. Doesn't the DHCP server gives out the IP's?

I do have a list of the machines with their Ethernet ID's but none of them match the ID I saw on the alert message. I am going to turn off the printers, maybe they are the devices causing the trouble. What I don't understand is, why there is another device with the server's IP if the server has a unique static address. Doesn't the DHCP server gives out the IP's?

Yes, the dhcp server does, but it you will have to tell it that the server static address in reserved for a particular system, or limited the range of distributed ip addresses to ones not reserved for static ips. So tell the dhcp server to start with e.g. x.x.x.20 to x.x.x.250 or whatever range you want (as long as 21 is not part of the range).

Some dhcp servers allow ip nummers to be linked to mac address, so if your dhcp server has this capability, link (in general) the mac address to the desired ip number. Now only your server will get that number as long as you do not change the mac address of the server.

Good luck, Kees

I finally found the culprit, it was an HP laserjet 2100nt printer. I disconnected it for now to see if any other device comes up with the same address. Now I have another issue. I had to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Mac OS X so I have issues with the DNS server. I can't put the FQDN of the server into the server. It shows as room-312-server.local instead of room312.nycboe.org. I called the DNS administrators to see if they can provide me with that information. Thanks for your help!!

Back