Setting Permissions

mediajuggle

Registered
Hello,
I have my php and mysql set-up on my computer so that I can do my web work from my desktop. I'm trying to run a program which states:

"Usage: Download to your PC and extract it, replace extracted admin.php file to your old Mini Web Shop admin.php file, then remember to CHMOD 777 to all required files and directories."

Now I know how to set permissions using Fetch to folders and files uploaded on a server, but how do I do this on my desktop? Any light you can shed will be appreciated.

Just select the icon and choose Command-I to bring up the file info. There is a tab here for permissions which lets you change ownership, read and write permissions.
This doesn't let you set Execute permissions however, which must be done from the terminal using the chmod command.

so in order words,
I wouldn't be able to
CHMOD 777

or is the excute automatically set.....?

I haven't tried your instructions yet as I'm at work now and we're only running 9.2.2 here

I think, in Terminal, it's chmod 777 /path/to/file; anyone want to confirm this?

uhh yeah, thats how you do it.

It might be useful to envoke chmod with the -R option, and simply list the path to the folder you want chmodded - this will change everything in that folder, and any sub folders.

Sounds like the directions specified several files, so you can either do this, or use wildcards in your chmod.

example:

chmod -R 777 /Library/WebServer/Documents/phpstuff/

or maybe:

cd /Library/WebServer/Documents/phpstuff
chmod 777 *php

(that chmod's all files ending with 'php')

keep in mind that 777 allows ANY user to delete the file, rename it, view it, execute it, etc. You probably don't want this perminately. You definately don't, actually.

Once you set your program up, I would chmod it so everyone can read and execute it, and only the owner can delete it. The owner is likely you, or the root user.

The `ls` command will show you who owns a file.

Anyway, just chmod the files back to mode 755 when you finish setting things up.

For more information, just type: man chmod
into the terminal. Or, type chmod and press return, and chmod will give you a brief help message, which can be helpful when you forget what order the arguments go in.

thanx for the info...
i;m trying to chmod a folder in my "Sites" folder...
what would be the url for that?

I can't seem to get it correctly

Okay I typed in:
chmod -R 777 /http://localhost/~christopherenglish/finasboutique/

but it's still not working... it tells me:

No such file or directory

any ideas...

Forget it guys, thanx for all the help...
last question...
how do i chmod all the files in a folder at one time instead of individually...

Back