Setting Up Second Ethernet Port on X-Serve

josephmyates

Registered
We have our LAN going into Port 1 on our X-Serve and I was considering setting up just one of the Mac Clients to go directly into Port 2 of the X-Serve - but still be able to access the rest of the LAN & Internet (and vice versa)

I configured the second ethernet port with a manual IP address - and router address - but the Client cannot connect to the Server now - nor access the Internet.

What else does one have to do to get this to work properly?

Many thanks,
Joseph Yates
Pacifica Island Art, Inc.
Maui, Hawaii

There may be a better way of achieving what you are trying to do.

Why do you not want to connect the Mac into the LAN? If you want the XServe to act as a firewalll between the Mac and the LAN ... OK - but if not, you're asking for a lot of headaches.

We have our LAN going into Port 1 on our X-Serve and I was considering setting up just one of the Mac Clients to go directly into Port 2 of the X-Serve - but still be able to access the rest of the LAN & Internet (and vice versa)

I configured the second ethernet port with a manual IP address - and router address - but the Client cannot connect to the Server now - nor access the Internet.

What else does one have to do to get this to work properly?

If you require certain server functions to work properly, you will run into trouble if the ip-number for the second port wasn't setup right during installation.

The server does not like it when changing the ip-number of any of its port for some of its functionallity. You could use changeip to fix this, put be carefull as you have to lan ports and 2 valid ip-numbers.

Some functionallity should work, good luck, Kees

Back