ShaBANG! 10 GB iPod, iPod contact software, 23" cinema display!

me...

well, thanks to me not having to pay bills until i'm out of high school while I have a high-paying web design job, i can get a new Dual GHz PowerMac G4 (w/1 GB of RAM and 80 GB Hard Drive) with 23" HD Cinema Display and 10 GB Hard Drive with Custom Laser Engraving... even though i'm only 15 :D

yes, that is in my purchase order... i have it saved and ready to buy, but i'll hold off for some lower prices... maybe until after summer vacation i'll buy...

it's around $11,000... thank god for 2 year financing :D

do i REALLY need the 23" cinema display... NO... but i just want one...
do i REALLY need the 10 GB iPod... NO... i've only got around 700 songs... but i'd like to say i can hold another 1300 :D

Interesting, but I wouldn't go much beyond that for the expo announcements. The 10GB iPod was pretty much expected, although I think Apple's trying to ride that as long as they can before bringing the price down. At the time the iPod came out, it was a great price... the hard drive it had alone was $400. However, now the 5GB hard drive in an iPod has come down to under $200 and the 10GB hard drive is (have to check) around $300. You can't blame them for not dropping the price since it's still selling, but I think $299 and $399 would have been more reasonable.

Bluetooth is a good announcement. I'm curious how they're handling the interference problem Bluetooth causes with AirPort though.

A lot of professionals will enjoy the 23" HD Cinema Display, it's quite impressive. Personally I'll survive with my 17" LCD for a little longer ;)

The iMac price increase was pretty much expected... although I wasn't sure if Steve would rather take the losses for now or not... I think this was more of a move for Wall Street than a solid decision by Apple. Expect the prices to at least come back down to where they were introduced at in January (possibly a price drop of $100 more... don't expect any upgrades).

/me is still looking forward to solid announcements come MWNY.

Cheers,
Dak

GadgetLover:

I know that there are MP3 players out there that are almost as small as the iPod and that have even larger hard drives (even larger than the 10 GB iPod introduced at MWT), but there are 2 features the iPod has that make it THE ONLY MP3 player to buy.

What are these 2 features? FireWire and ease-of-use.

Like dlookus said, if you have a USB connection to a 20 GB MP3 player, you basically wasted all of your money. It takes a HECK of a long time to fill something like that up with USB, and it's not worth it if you want to try and bring files along with you or add/remove music from your MP3 player. In my opinion, if an MP3 player has a lot of storage space but only USB connections, it's not worth buying no MATTER how cheap it is, period. No firewire, no buy.

Second feature is ease-of-use. How many other MP3 players do you know auto-sync your music when you plug it in, or can easily scroll through a list of 1000 songs, or allows you to change the equalizer settings with 1 swivel of the scroll wheel and 1 click of a button? How many of those now have drag-and-drop contact support? These easy to use features also make the higher iPod price justified.

These two features alone make the iPod the ideal MP3 player, even though it has a relatively steep price. I never once thought about buying an MP3 player until the iPod came out, because I knew they were all clunky and were all really slow. As soon as the iPod came out, I knew I had to have one. This is the beauty of the iPod, and why it will still sell at a higher price, even at $499.

Well, I hope you're right, but I'm not holding my breath. I just wish that Apple sold the iPod and such a price point that *everyone* wanted to buy one (and did)! This way, slowly, Apple could built upon it's user base. As non-Apple owners start to use Apple products (or see others doing so), perhaps we can turn them to the Right Side of the Force.

Personally I think the prices all around are reasonable, but they killed themselves with the price increase of the iMac. This is a simple story of supply and demand. The iPod is a top of the line machine therefore it's got to be top of the line price. Many people are unhappy that the Luxor Jr iMac had such poor availability so 100$ more would have helped that a little, and they still would have been bought.

The reason they are killing themselves is that now people assume they deserve the cheaper price on the iMac and Apple will not sell as many as if they had released it at 1399. People will now hold out for MWNY expecting the price drop.

We would all like to think that Apple is our best friend and will always cater to us because they have made us happy for so long. But Apple is a business and the first priority is making money.

I think that $500 is way too much. I bought one anyway. I had myself all up to the anticipation of getting a 10gig iPod for $400, but I didn't work out, but I got it anyway, because that's what I wanted.

Mabey there are more people like me?:confused:

Originally posted by Koelling
Personally I think the prices all around are reasonable, but they killed themselves with the price increase of the iMac.

The reason they are killing themselves is that now people assume they deserve the cheaper price on the iMac and Apple will not sell as many as if they had released it at 1399. People will now hold out for MWNY expecting the price drop.

I'm confused. Apple *is* selling the low-end iMac for $1,399. Did I miss something?

from Apple Store:

"$1,399.00
700MHz PowerPC G4
256K L2 cache @ 700 MHz
128MB SDRAM
40GB Ultra ATA drive
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
56K internal modem
AirPort ready
New orders shipping in 5-7 weeks"

OK, so I saw this Press Release on MacFixIt.com ...
but the e-store *still* has the $1,399 prices.

We'll see ...

"Apple In Volume Production of New iMacs; $100 price increase From a press release: Steve Jobs told the Macworld crowd: "Customer demand for the new iMac has been off the charts and we have simply been unable to keep up with it. We are now in volume production, shipping over 5,000 new iMacs per day, and hope to catch up with demand soon." Apple also announced that due to significant increases in component costs for memory and LCD flat-panel displays, the company will increase the price of all new iMac models by $100 (US)."

Uh....

The original prices for the iMacs were $1299/$1499/$1799.

After the price hike, they are $1399/$1599/$1899, which reflects the price you are seeing at the Apple Store.

Back