shareing win2k and osx with samba???

new_roti

Registered
hi guys

some questions about samba!
have an g4 osx and pc laptop with win 2k
and a nice dsl modem with a netgear hub.

how can i configure samba that i hav only a connction with these 2 computers with a security that no one else could connect to one of them when i am online??

printersharing a deskjet usb printer connetec to the g4 mac. now i want to print over network from pc. help! is there any solution.

printersharing works with samba, i m right?!?

Originally posted by new_roti
hi guys

some questions about samba!
have an g4 osx and pc laptop with win 2k
and a nice dsl modem with a netgear hub.

how can i configure samba that i hav only a connction with these 2 computers with a security that no one else could connect to one of them when i am online??

printersharing a deskjet usb printer connetec to the g4 mac. now i want to print over network from pc. help! is there any solution.

printersharing works with samba, i m right?!?
First off, since your using a hub, any file/printer sharing you setup is going to be world accessible (meaning a potential hack waiting to happen - especially if MS Windows is involved). To prevent this, you need to use a firewall/router, such as one from Linksys (or any of the other dozen or so companies than make home user models). This makes all shares and remote services invisible to the outside world.

Secondly, to my knowledge, Samba on the Mac (as it comes) only supports mounting SMB shares and not printer sharing. Apple only included a stripped down version of Samba. Your best best is to either try Dave (www.thursby.com) on the Mac or use something like PC Maclan or MS File Services for Macintosh on W2K and use appletalk over IP. But for the price of most of these products, you could've bought yourself a second inexpensive inkjet printer.

Back