Sharing an external hard drive?!?

LuciferSam

Registered
I need to know how to share my ext. hard drives on my network so I can access them wireless. Please! I have a G4 and a new MacBook pro, they are both running OSX 10.4.8. I also just set up a Lynksys wireless router. I would like to access my music and movies on my ext. hard drives connected to my G4 wireless, over the network. I can't figure out how to share them?!? I can get on the G4 -> GO->CONNECT TO SERVER->... but the ext. drives are not visible? Any and all detailed help is appreciated in advance... thank you

Try Share Points from Versiontracker. It will let you share your external, we use it all the time to share my macbook and my husband's PC files.

The external drive has to be mounted on the G4 to work. For example, at home I have a G4 eMac with a 250GB ext HD attached. If I turn the eMac on, and the ext drive on, and then try to connect to the ext drive from my MacBook, the ext drive doesn't appear as a volume I can connect to. If I then walk over to the eMac, and login, the ext drive mounts. I can then connect to the drive from my MacBook because it then appears as a mountable volume.

(I guess what I'm trying to say here is that MacOS doesn't mount the ext drive at boot. You have to login for the OS to mount the drive.)

- I have SharePoints - shared the ext. drive - it still dosent appear on the wireless net.
- How exactly do I mount an ext. drive on the G4, I am the admin/only user logged in on both macs.

- thanks again for any and all help.

Back