Sharing my extra internal drive?

gerald hovancik

Registered
I am running OS 10.2.4 on my dual gig G4 on a mac network. MY question is how do I share this extra internal drive with other users. I have tried aliasing the drive by dragging it into my public folder and nothing. Has anyone had any success at this? Any help would be great, thanks.

Originally posted by gerald hovancik
I am running OS 10.2.4 on my dual gig G4 on a mac network. MY question is how do I share this extra internal drive with other users. I have tried aliasing the drive by dragging it into my public folder and nothing. Has anyone had any success at this? Any help would be great, thanks.

Don't you set that up in "Sharing" in the Network ->Preferences section? There are features that look like it would help you set that up, like shared folders for others computers on a network

kafene.

You can do this in Terminal;

Open Terminal and type;

cd /etc
sudo pico smb.conf
----------------------------------------------------------
You'll be prompted for the password.
You should see the following with the exception of the lines in bold which I added for my system so I could access all volumes on the Mac when in Win2K, same applies to sharing with other Macs.
-------------------------------------------------------------
[global]
client code page = 437
coding system = utf8
guest account = unknown
encrypt passwords = yes

[homes]
comment = User Home Directories
browseable = no
read only = no
create mode = 0750

[volumes]
comment = (name of the drive you want to share)
path = /Volumes
writable = yes

;[public]
; path = /tmp
; public = yes
; only guest = yes
; writable = yes
; printable = no

;[printers]
; comment = All Printers
; browseable = no
; printable = yes
; public = no
; writable = no
; create mode = 0700
-------------------------------------------------------------

When done making your changes, hit Control-O to write changes to disk and press Return when prompted for a file name. The hit Control-X to quit pico and close the Terminal window.

Sharepoints is the easy answer.
I put it on our workstations in our design studio, so we have easy access to the client artwork files on our other disc partitions. Easy to use, and works like a charm.

Back