Sharing resource of two subnets

adriankamellard

Registered
I have two dsl lines coming into my house, each with its own router on separate subnets. Some machines go through one router and some through the other. I would like to share resources between the two lans. I have one iMac which is on one lan through ethernet and the other through airport. Can the iMac be configured to bridge the two lans, allowing machines on one subnet to see machines on the second subnet?

For background, I have this setup up to give me some resilience and to share wan traffic over my slow dsl lines (I live a long way from the exchange). I have tried a dual wan router, but it proved slow and unreliable.

Thanks

Adrian

For background, I have this setup up to give me some resilience and to share wan traffic over my slow dsl lines (I live a long way from the exchange). I have tried a dual wan router, but it proved slow and unreliable.

Linksys has a vpn router with 2 wan ports. It will handle both WAN ports. The model is rv042 and you can find information on the linksys site.

Good luck, kees

I suppose this will work for you - it's worth a try, but I'm not guaranteeing anything ;-)

a)Set the routers up to be the same subnet.

b)Then make the following changes to your network:
1) turn off DHCP in one of the routers (it's !not! a good idea to have two DHCP-servers on the same subnet)
2) change the IP of the router to something like x.x.x.254
3) connect the two routers with an ethernet cable - you might need a cross-over cable instead of a normal one
4) manually set the router information on the computers that need to connect through the router that has DHCP turned off

Back