Should I, should i NOT upgrade from PB G4 400mhz to 800mhz?

well, quite happy, i've owned it for about a year and it hasn't giving me any 'major' problem, so far so good, 2 dead pixel which can be eliminated easily by massaging the screen.....other than that, nope....
maybe what i need is a major clean up on the hdd.

me

Happy isn't the issue here. The issue is that it's not my money, so Yes, you should upgrade! =)

I just got a new SuperDrive iMac at 800Mhz. I had a TiBook 500. I am very happy with the increase in performance. Of course, there I'm going from a mobile chip to a desktop chip. I don't know for certain, but I kind of assume that mobile G4's aren't the same as desktop G4's.

On the other hand, your new 800Mhz TiBook has 1MB of L2 or L3 cache, right? That may even beat my iMac.

Go for it!

And don't forget the bigger screen.

-Rob

damn damn damn, rite now am typing this off the new PB 800mhz @ the apple store, it's a sweet machine! much much faster than my current PB 400mhz, duh~ if i am to sell the PB 400mhz, how much $$ can i get? Any takers? :D

me

so...any takers yet? :D
as soon someone take over my PB G4 400mhz, 512mb ram, 30gig hdd + hp 952c, i'm gonna take the 800mhz!
anyone? preferably bay area or san jose area, COD, to take the mess out of it!

me

when apple doubles it mhz its not just a 100 perc ent speed increese... its usualy a 130-140 percent increase in speed... but i would wait till a ddr model comes out. just for that extra big speed bost

Originally posted by satanicpoptart
when apple doubles it mhz its not just a 100 perc ent speed increese... its usualy a 130-140 percent increase in speed... but i would wait till a ddr model comes out. just for that extra big speed bost

Then he'd have to wait for a looong time.

Wrong, the PPC7450 chip in the new PowerBooks are actually slower than the 7410's in the old ones. And the performance isn't even close to doubled, because the system bus, RAM architecture, HD etc is still the same.

But I suggest buying that PowerBook now, I think now is a good time.

I'd wait for MWNY. I think Apple knows that having neither IrDA or Bluetooth on the new Ti is very, very bad. They'll correct that in July. Maybe alongside the 933 MHz PowerPC 7460.

Back