shut down or restart doesnt work!

Elliotjnewman

Registered
G4 mdd 1.25 512 RAM running OS 10.3.5

I recently had a problem with my internal hard drive, please see: http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46538

I have now installed a Maxtor ATA drive as a replacement and my system is running very well, although it doesnt seem to want to shut down or restart.

I goto shut down or restart and the monitor turns off and it seems like its working as usual but the light stays on and the fans are still whirling away. Do you think that this new drive maybe conflicting in some way with the shut down process?

How do you have the new drive jumpered? It should be set to "Cable Select" or "CS" on the drive jumpers for the MDD machines... if you have it set to "Slave" or something other than "CS," it could be preventing the machine from sending the spindown command to the drive.

Also, do you have any PCI cards installed, like a FireWire or USB card or anything?

how do I select the cable select? I didnt select anything when I bought the drive, I just took the old one out and plugged the new one in...

You'll probably have to pull the drive back out to check. On most drives, there are some "jumper" pins, usually between the power plug and the cable plug on the drive. There's usually two rows of 5 pins for the jumpers, and there should be a little "jumper block" that fits over two pins at a time there. If you look on the underside of the drive next to the pins, they'll usually be labeled things like: "Master," "Slave," or "CS." To select "CS," which is what you need, remove the little two-pin block and fit it vertically over the two pins above the "CS" label.

There should also be instructions that came with the drive on how to do this, unless you bought a "bare bones" drive... bare bones drives just come with the drive -- no cables, no instructions or anything -- just the drive.

Look here:

http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation/jumper_settings/style_a1.htm

Those are some common settings for Maxtor drives. Just place the jumper as shown in the upper-right hand picture for "CS." Ignore the CS with CLJ setting -- you want plain old "CS."

Hello all, sorry to dig up an old thread. I have only just got round to taking the hard drive out and changing the switch to cable select. But the thing is, judging by the diogram:

http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor...gs/style_a1.htm

the drive was already in the "cs" position, and I then put it to master, which didnt solve the problem, so I have now put it back to cable select and it still wont shut down.

is this drive incompatable or something? when I install software it doesnt even restart - I have to hold the button down myself! very annoying. Now when I goto sleep at night I put the computer to sleep instead of shut down...

any other ideas?

Do you have a cable with 1 or 2 drive connectors (in addition to the card connector) ? If it has 2 connectors, be sure to put your disk at the end connector, not at the middle connector.

Do you have another software open that may block your shutdown ? (Firefox does that if you have more than one tab open in a window)

"Do you have a cable with 1 or 2 drive connectors (in addition to the card connector) ? If it has 2 connectors, be sure to put your disk at the end connector, not at the middle connector" - yes I have connected the drive with the end connector.

I dont use Firefox.

"Just curious -- what kind of USB devices do you have plugged into the computer?" - I have quite an old usb hub - accuratus, which is a good 3-4 years old now. I have a BT Voyager modem, and a wacom tablet, the keyboard and a logitech optical mouse. Although all of these devices where present when I had the G4s original drive and that would shut down without a problem...

Elliot.

Just for kicks, can you try using the computer for a length of time without the USB hub plugged in, then try shutting down? Run the computer with only the keyboard and mouse connected directly to a USB port on the computer.

Also, do you have your keyboard/mouse plugged into the hub or directly into the USB port on the computer? The latter would be preferrable and is highly recommended.

USB devices tend to be picky with computers: hubs especially. A problem like this with USB devices may not pop up until you do some other, unrelated activity (upgrade the system software, install a new hard drive, etc.).

If running without the USB hub works, great, but if not, then it's most definitely something with the drive. As far as I know, the MDD machines should have their drives set to "Cable Select" and connected to the end-most connector on the ribbon cable if only one drive is used, as you have done. Do you have any other drives that you could try in the machine to rule the new one out? Also, how did you get OS X onto the new drive -- did you clone your old drive, or install fresh?

Back