Silent iBook update

Originally posted by spitty27
iBook update isnt too silent anymore...check the apple website, they annouced it on the bottom

It's always been, but new product releases are normally where FCP4 is now ;)

Originally posted by kendall
But you see, people will pay $500+ when not given any other option. Apple is not being cheap, Apple is trying to stay in business.

Also, the iBook was not redesigned, so how do you expect them to offer AE? It is a completely different size than the original AirPort card.

AE Base Station works with the original AirPort card so it's not a big deal.

Nobody has a 11 or 54 Mbps internet connection so it's pretty much pointless unless you're transfering files within a home network. Even still, 54 Mbps is terribly slow compared to a CAT5 wire and 1000 Mbps ethernet.

You want all these little goodies with your iBook but chances are, you'll never use them so what's the point?

Granted, but neither was the iMac redesigned, yet it has those features. It just comes down to Apple being inconsistent along its product lines. I'm not asking for a Super Drive equipped, 1MB L3 cache iBook, but I think if Apple wants to promote it's digital hub / simple to use computer it should include these 2 features in the iBook. Maybe I'm asking for too much, I just think its dumb that if the iMac has it, then so should the iBook ... but who knows.

awesome! i love you apple! i've been waiting for the new ibook to come out, i was waiting to buy it. Impact resistant, not special doors or nothing to brake off. Fits in your backpack, and it's affordable, unlike the powerbook.i'll get it in the summer, or after panther is released.

Originally posted by Androo
awesome! i love you apple! i've been waiting for the new ibook to come out, i was waiting to buy it. Impact resistant, not special doors or nothing to brake off. Fits in your backpack, and it's affordable, unlike the powerbook.i'll get it in the summer, or after panther is released.

Ah, refreshing to hear someone not complaining at all :)

i'll most likely be buying a 12" ibook as well. i wish they'd throw a dvd player in the $999 one. i don't need to burn on the go, but i'd like to watch dvds on the go ^_^.

Ah well now boi, if they put a DVD player on the $999 one, then you wouldn't get the $1199 version, would you? ;)
Apple just got you to pay them $200 dollars more than you would have otherwise :) It's called marketing.
Ah well, I had the joy of having the top-of-the-line iBook for just over four whole months. And I still have the second in line! Pretty good, huh?

Originally posted by dlloyd
Ah well now boi, if they put a DVD player on the $999 one, then you wouldn't get the $1199 version, would you? ;)
Apple just got you to pay them $200 dollars more than you would have otherwise :) It's called marketing.
Ah well, I had the joy of having the top-of-the-line iBook for just over four whole months. And I still have the second in line! Pretty good, huh?

there's a $1199 iBook with cd-rw/dvd?!

gimmeeeeeee

education store ;)

i will say this, my ibook is my favorite computer ever, for many the reasons androo stated

fairly cheap, good enough performance, its rugged, its good on batteries, light weight, no extra shape too it.. i love it :)

Originally posted by Androo
Hey, listen to this. I think there's a new ibook out!
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ::ha::

Does anyone think that the iBooks will be redesigned, say around August? Say Apple chooses to release 970 Macs this summer, would they keep 3 different processors ... 970, G4, and the G3? I guess it would depend a lot on Panther. If Panther is 64-bit, would this require more computing power? Is Panther going to be even more efficient and run even faster on current hardware, or is it going to require faster hardware. I guess time will tell. With this release at somewhat of an ackward time, I think this is a good sign that a tablet Mac will be coming. They could introduce that along with the 15" ALbook. <BR><BR> And about my iBook argument, it's too bad Apple doesn't still offer the "real" build to order options. I remember when you could choose a PowerMac and actually upgrade the processor. It's too bad I couldn't go the Apple Store and totally customize processor speed, screen size, RAM, HD, etc. I guess that would cost Apple a lot more tho.

The new 12" 900MHz iBook has the cheap, unpainted, white PC plastic interior like the old lowend 700MHz CD.

I think the new 14" have the old casing.

Also, the outer casing is solid white, not translucent.

It just doesn't look as elegant. A damn shame. I always though the iBook had the most style of any Mac. Now it's just wrapped in white PC mouse plastic. :(

Im selling my 12 iBook and buying the 12 Powerbook. I want the DDR, and the Altivec, and the option to do dual monitor with the VGA output (not the mirroring that the iBook does). I am a student, and that would be perfect for me, seeing I dont have a desktop anymore. I love the portability of the 12" systems, and this would be my last upgrade for a while.

Apple might have to do a lot to get AE into the iBook, because it uses PCI instead of PCMCIA. At MWSF, an apple rep said they couldnt get 11g over PCMCIA, which is crap, because PC companies are doing it... so either just that guy is whacked, or apple is whacked...

Apple wants (and needs) to keep a difference between the iBook 12" and the PowerBook 12", so that's one reason why they don't want AE in the iBooks just yet.

If this _is_ the year of the notebook, we'll see new PowerBooks (12, 15, 17 inch) in July/August and revamped iBooks in September.

Help Me :D

Wich one is better for which use...
PowerBook 12"
iBook 900Mhz

or maybe it's better to spend more and wait for the 15" PB to come?

I want to have a laptop, 15" is the best... but it is a lot of money now... and I don't really need one so nice right now, maybe later...

Which one is the best buy? :confused:

Kendall: When I bought mine, the $999 was the cheapest (700MHz CD-ROM; cheapest unless you count the old 600MHz one), followed by the $1199 model (800 MHz, Combo, and twice as much VRAM). Then there were several other more expensive options.
JFlynn: assuming that you have a relatively new iBook (600 MHz or greater) your video card actually supports Extended Desktop, you just need to do a little firmware hack because Apple disabled this feature at 'boot time'. :)
I did this, it works fine, and I love it! Best thing since sliced bread, as someone said.
Mine actually does quite a nice resolution: 1280x980 or something like that.
Anyway, just so you know!

They updated the Apple Store look about four days back. LOL. If you went to the main page, they had like a "handwritten" sticky on it. Very cute. Very human. VERY APPLE.

I don't think we will ever see this "humanisation" on Microsoft sites.

14.1 displays have more than 1024x768 resolution? Tried to look at the data sheet but I'm at a computer lab and it doesn't have Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Back