simultaneous account settings

qbert

Registered
Hi, I regularly swap between different different logged in accounts on my mac (i.e. work stuff / games / browsing), 2 of wich are admin accounts and 1 standard. However I want one of the admin accounts to have zero access to the internet (in my case a wifi connection).
Is there any way to disable the wifi connection on one account without affecting the other 2, it seems all setting are global.

thanks,
ad.

Do you use fast user switching, or do you log out of one account, then into the other...
If you regularly log out of one account, then log into the other, you could use a login hook to basically do this:

If the logging in user is <the non-net user> then
turn off wireless, change privileges on the various enabling widgets
else
reverse privileges on the various enabling widgets and enable wireless.

So, remove the "other" read and execute privileges of the system preference pane file and menu item file(and possibly other applications that can enable wireless) for the non-net account if they log in.
Otherwise make sure read and execute privileges for "other" are enabled, and reenable wireless.

It's non-trivial.

The bombich.com site has information about login hooks.

Fast user switching to that non-net user account would disable for all logged in users until at least one net enabled user logs out and then back in. At that point, if the non-net user is still logged in, then they would also have access to wireless.

That's just one way to do it. I can't think of another way, but I'm pretty sure there is one...

Is the account you are trying to stop access to one of the Admin accounts or the standard account?

Back