Sleep issues with 10.1.5

bbloke

Registered
Since upgrading to OS 10.1.5, I have been happy to see that the GeForce 4MX related display "flashes" have gone and that sound is no longer lost on external speakers after sleep. *However*, I have noticed other things:

1) After waking from a long sleep (eg overnight) when logged out, logins take about five minutes

2) If a user was logged in and the Mac went into a deep sleep, the clock tends to show the "old" (eg yesterday's) date and time still

3) The normal adminstrative processes (eg rotation of system logs) is no longer being performed

I also find messages in the system log after a sleep which i do not remember from prior to 10.1.5. For example, my system log (/var/log/system.log) this morning showed the following:

Jun 12 23:40:53 localhost mach_kernel: System Sleep
Jun 12 23:41:00 localhost mach_kernel: System Wake
Jun 12 23:41:00 localhost mach_kernel: Wake event 0020
Jun 12 23:41:00 localhost mach_kernel: enableClockSpreading returned with 0
Jun 12 23:41:00 localhost mach_kernel: AppleNMI unmask NMI
Jun 12 23:41:00 localhost mach_kernel: Adaptec warning: Resetting SCSI bus.
Jun 12 23:41:04 localhost mach_kernel: UniNEnet: 0 0 UniNEnet:: putToSleep - disabled cell clock!!!
Jun 12 23:41:08 localhost mach_init[2]: added notification for sub-bootstrap
Jun 12 23:41:09 localhost configd[122]: executing /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Kicker.bundle/Resources/restart-automount
Jun 12 23:41:14 localhost mach_kernel: UniNEnet: 0 0 UniNEnet:: putToSleep - disabled cell clock!!!

(Note: I have edited the log so that there is now a space between ":" and "p" in ":: putToSleep" in order to prevent smilies from being inserted into the text so that it looks like "::putToSleep"!)

I have very mixed feelings about 10.1.5, as it seemed to fix some problems but then introduce some new ones! Is anyone else seeing the same behavior?

Sao,

Thanks for the reply. I am well aware of the MacFixit site and the threads relating to 10.1.5. I have, in fact, been checking the site daily!

Unfortunately, unless I am mistaken the links you sent do not address any of the issues I actually detailed. Are you aware of many similar cases to the ones I report (I have only found a small number on the Apple Discussions forums) and/or are you aware of any solutions?

Many moons ago, my Dual 1 GHz used to not sleep properly either. I used to get the display going blank and the hard drive spinning down, but the fan would still be going and the power light would stay on rather than pulsating.

I found that updating the SCSI drivers for my Adaptec SCSI 2930 card (part of a built to order configuration directly from Apple) to version 1.1 solved the problem. 10.1.5 seems to have downgraded the drivers back to 1.0, as a side note... I upgraded them again last evening, but still have the problems after waking from sleep.

I should emphasize that I have never had problems putting the Mac to sleep under 10.1.5, nor in waking it. The problems are only related to the Macs behavior after it has been woken from a long sleep.

I would also have thought that the guilty ones would have been the SCSI drivers, but now I don't know.

Why don't you run from terminal 'dmesg' before and after a long sleep and compare the results. This will give you a printout of messages.

You may also find it useful to watch your system console during boot by depressing and holding down the v-key from startup.

Good luck.

Cheers...

sao,

Thanks for the useful tip! I hadn't used dmesg before.

It also seemed to have logged my last restart (after I performed an installation...), which was useful as I didn't have to use "verbose mode" when starting up. I saved the output (using cat) before and after sleep. I have posted a snippet from the log after the overnight sleep, and I believe it includes the text from a previous, briefer sleep (about 2.5 hours) last evening too. I have also saved the system.log file this morning, but the logs were properly rotated (hooray!) when I did not put the whole system to sleep, only the display and the hard drive.

So, here is a section of text from the dmesg output this morning after sleeping overnight and having slept for 2.5 hours last night before that too:

AppleNMI mask NMI
UniNEnet: 0 0 UniNEnet:: putToSleep - disabled cell clock!!!
System Sleep
System Wake
Wake event 0020
enableClockSpreading returned with 0
AppleNMI unmask NMI
Adaptec warning: Resetting SCSI bus.
AppleSCCModem(47c5400): setPowerState is called -- powerStateOrdinal = 1
AppleSCCModem(47c5400): setPowerState is called -- powerStateOrdinal = 0
AppleSCCModem(47c5400): setPowerState is called -- powerStateOrdinal = 1
<snip>
AppleSCCModem(47c5400): setPowerState is called -- powerStateOrdinal = 0

Any ideas? (I snipped a section relating to my firewall, which detailed IP addresses.) The cell clock, ethernet, AppleNMI, wake from sleep, clock spreading, and SCSI reports are the ones that bug me as they keep coming up in my logs. Also note that the wake from sleep event occurs literally seconds after going to sleep, according to the system.log so it sounds like the Mac is not properly sleeping.

On another note, "mert" from the Apple Discussions pages has now said Adaptec have advised him to uninstall and then reinstall his SCSI card drivers and this solved his slow login problem, which I too have experienced. This is odd, as simply updating the drivers did not work...

:confused:

bbloke,

Not many ideas.

But I will start by following the advice from Adaptec and uninstall and reinstall the drives, to see if you get rid from the "Adaptec warning: Resetting SCSI bus" message. Which means it is constantly resetting the bus.

Do that and see how it goes.

Let us know.

Cheers...

PS: I just finished reading an email from somebody who just swapped his 39160 SCSI card with an ATTO ultra3s on his dual 800 and reported he is booting in OS X a lot faster now. (no more resseting the bus messages)

Well, thanks anyway for the feedback, even if you say you don't have many ideas. I'm sure this is all software related as the problems have only occurred after the "upgrade" to 10.1.5 and the issues occur after a long sleep, and some sleep related matters were dealt with by Apple in 10.1.5. So, perhaps they have simply introduced new problems, but I was rather surprised they use out of date drivers for the SCSI card!

I've now tried the uninstall/reinstall procedure and that didn't seem to help. :(

I'll try restarting and putting to sleep for awhile again, just to be sure I didn't miss a step. I should just note that I have a SCSI card installed (by Apple as a BTO option) but that NO DEVICES are actually attached to it.

BTW, do you have any ideas or comments about the other messages in the system.log file that I posted? Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks again...

bbloke,

The message that keeps repeating:

looks linked to the problem you mentioned in your first post:

<<...the clock tends to show the "old" (eg yesterday's) date and time still>>

I read several reports of users with the same problem.

It surely looks like a bug to me.

I don't know a solution.

Sorry I can't be of more help on the subject.

Cheers...

sao,

Yes, I agree the disabling of the cell clock seems linked to the date and time issues. I also had a look at alexachucarro's post ("disabled cell clock") and have seen similar comments on Apple's Discussion pages. Luckily, I'm not alone I guess, but not many others have reported this date and time error.

The slow logins still bother me though... I guess I'll have to keep looking and/or hope someone else posts with a solution! In the meantime, my solution to the slow logins, the incorrect date and time, and also the fact that the administrative processes (eg rotating the logs) do not occur while sleep is to not put the whole system to sleep. Instead, I set the Energy Saver preferences to put the display and hard drive to sleep, but not the whole "system."

Thanks for all your feedback though, it is appreciated.

Back