Sleep, sleep poppies will make it sleeppppp.

TuckerdogAVL

Registered
Okay. I'm going crazy with the Sleep thing. My Quicksilver 2002 will go to sleep if I do it....but it won't automatically. Here are things to know:
1. This is not a 100% thing. I have been able to get it sleep in the past. It has run for months okay. Then, for apparent reason, (meaning NOTHING has been added externally, we hang on sleep).
2. The worst has been in the past 2 years. Right now, it's been about six months since it went to sleep automatically.
3. I am running 10.4.11. I do not run any Norton or antistuff software.
4. I am not running a network.
5. I have checked all the correct boxes in "Energy Saver." Refer to #1: In the 7 years soon that I have owned it it has worked flawlessly, so please don't ask if I've checked connections.
6. I do all the updates for all the software and computer regularly. (This is where I think the problem actually lies now).

What I have done:
1. I have disconnected every peripheral. I have rebooted. I've got a 2.0 USB installed and the 1.x that came with it. With a scanner, printer, external, mouse, keyboard, iSight, Cinema monitor and LaCie DVD burner, through trial and error I have come up with the only combination that will allow me to *manually* put the computer to sleep without hanging and to wake. FYI: The keyboard and mouse MUST be installed into the originally USB ports. Then, I can awaken the machine with the keyboard or mouse. Also, I can manually put to sleep only if the 2.0 USB mouse and keyboard are installed in the original 1.xUSB ports. Otherwise it will hang.

(If the mouse or keyboard which are 2.0 USBs are installed in the USB ports I cannot awakened the mouse. They must be installed in the original 1.x USP ports).

2. I have also tried turning everything off (which defeats the purpose if I have to run to a meeting or leave the room and forget to do everything. If I have to do that, I just put it manually to sleep. Doh!)

So?
Is there anything I can "run" other than disk utility to figure out if there is something hanging the computer?

Console. That will show why it wakes up or doesn't sleep.
Put it to sleep... note down the time when it's supposed to do something/does something else, and look at console logs. (/Applications/Utilities. Console log or system log)

Is 'wake for administrator access' disabled?
No USB hubs?

1.you can try to reset the PMU (power management unit) this controls the sleep as well as other function, you can do this by:
pressing the reset button which is located on logic board (labelled "S1"), next to battery. After pressing the button once, wait ten seconds before turning the computer on.

2. In addition you can zap the pram as well by pressing option+command+p+r

Can you be more specific regarding the "hang on sleep" issue? Does the HD spin down? Does the screen dim? Does the sleep light on your tower start pulsating? (Quicksilvers do have those, don't they?) Do your fans go nuts?

If you can't wake up with the keyboard or mouse, try using the power button on your tower instead. I occasionally have this problem, which started when I moved my keyboard from the built-in USB port to a KVM switch, but after I wake it up with the power button, the keyboard and mouse work just fine.

I've had a lot of sleep problems over the years, most of which I've never been able to nail down perfectly. (*sigh*) I remember some other threads on this topic in the past that have some useful information. See:
http://macosx.com/forums/mac-os-x-system-mac-software/267081-auto-sleep-problem.html
http://macosx.com/forums/hardware-p...l-not-wake-sleep-fans-blowing-full-blast.html

Can you be more specific regarding the "hang on sleep" issue? Does the HD spin down? Does the screen dim? Does the sleep light on your tower start pulsating? (Quicksilvers do have those, don't they?) Do your fans go nuts?

Screen stays black. Nothing happens. If the computer goes into sleep mode, the monitor goes black and the computer just continues to run; if you try and get the monitor back, nothing happens. Then you have to power down. [/COLOR]

If you can't wake up with the keyboard or mouse, try using the power button on your tower instead.
Yes I know. I know the workaround.

I occasionally have this problem, which started when I moved my keyboard from the built-in USB port to a KVM switch, but after I wake it up with the power button, the keyboard and mouse work just fine.

I've had a lot of sleep problems over the years, most of which I've never been able to nail down perfectly. (*sigh*) I remember some other threads on this topic in the past that have some useful information. See:
http://macosx.com/forums/mac-os-x-system-mac-software/267081-auto-sleep-problem.html
http://macosx.com/forums/hardware-p...l-not-wake-sleep-fans-blowing-full-blast.html

thanks. apparently getting a new macbook will not solve the problem. Just as an update: I gave up and plugged everything back in. I feel there is an issue with the printer, for sure, but right now, I have to figure out what to move around etc as we are now back to hanging on manual sleep.

1.you can try to reset the PMU (power management unit) this controls the sleep as well as other function, you can do this by:
pressing the reset button which is located on logic board (labelled "S1"), next to battery. After pressing the button once, wait ten seconds before turning the computer on.

2. In addition you can zap the pram as well by pressing option+command+p+r

I've got a desktop....any ideas on how to reset the PMU or PRAM on it?

Back