Slow typing

heathpitts

Registered
Has anyone else experienced slow typing and letters you typed not showing up?

First, I am using a G4 CUBE 450 with OSX 10.2.4. and 512 mb of ram with the original video card.

Here is what happens. I type in any program, say Safari, AIM, Word, Mail, and the typing is so slow that sometimes it misses letters. It also displays the letters slowly. I am not that fast of a typist and I cleaned the keyboard with air so I don't think it is dirty.

Also, I am a pc technician and I have never seen a pc do this. This makes the mac virtually useless for typing or anything like that because of having to double check to make sure all that I typed is showing on the screen.

I saw slow typing, yes ... when i had painful 128 MB of RAM and I was running photoshop, ichat or fire and many other apps on the same time. Often it took even 30 seconds before I saw what I had written - now with more RAM that doesn't happen any more. What and how many applications are you normally using when it happens? Have you changed the keyboard reaction time in sys prefs? :)

if something is running in the background this can easily occur. Like a flash animation or website in the background. I never had too bad of a delay, but when my system isn't too responsive, i know something is running, and often it was a flash site or animation I left open. These animations were heavy in coding or large transitions, little flash files does not cause these problems. Also, when Entourage was going out retrieving mail I got a minor delay.

It really does seem like something is running in the background but what? It is slow even with only mail and AIM open. I mean even with two programs open it shouldn't do this...Please help!

I am going to try buying a new keyboard to see if this helps but I don't think that is the problem.

You can use the Process Monitor Utility to find out which process is eating up your resources.

Yeah, I know the diferent ways to watch the processes. I have checked them and it does not seem to be any program because I have tried it with only one program open. I think it is probably my keyboard that is making me miss the letters. They work when I press them slowly but not when I am typing fast. So I am going to try a new keyboard and see if that works for me.

Fixed it.

Here's how:

unplug old keyboard
insert new one

disappearing letter problem is now a thing of the past!

But seriously, I used a microsoft natural keyboard and I want something that more matches my cube. What, besides the pro keyboard, are some good keyboards to get?

Back