Smooth Scrolling=Blah?

Total Konfuzion

Registered
Is it just me or does the smooth scrolling option in the appearance menu just make scrolling worse? I just absolutely despise it...since I have an iBook I usually use the arrow keys to scroll down webpages in safari and smooth scrolling just doesn't work at all when doing this...it just starts off really slow and accelerates like crazy, before i know it i'm at the bottem of the page. It works alright if i use a mouse/trackpad to drag the slider, but i hardly ever do....blah@smooth scrolling! :)

Yes, it does make it worse. I think there was a thread on this if you want to search.

bobw said:
Yes, it does make it worse. I think there was a thread on this if you want to search.

Ahh, thanks....i haven't been around in a while, i'll search for the previous thread addressing this issue, heh. :)

I love it. Works great. Nice and smooth. Is this new to OS X? I didn't recall coming across it Jaguar. Your description sounds not at all like what I experience.

DJHyp3rion said:
maybe cuz the iBook is slow or something?

I don't think it's a speed thing....i think it's just that i use the arrow keys more often....when i use the trackpad it's nice and smooth, but i don't use the trackpad to scroll very often.

nah I mean like, using the KB to scroll on my iBook is slow. it might be actually "smooth" on a faster Mac. (using the KB)

I thought smooth scrolling animates the scroll when you press the space bar - instead of just jumping down the page it kind of rolled, or scrolled. It looks like a real neat feature!

No, it actually accelerates and decelerates when you scroll either with arrow keys or a mouse wheel... when it's on and you use the arrow keys, it's easy to over-scroll since it's hard to determine where the scrolling will stop. It's a little better with a mouse wheel, but not much... and yeah, it's new to Panther.

Back