so who's buying the iSight?

crash

and burn
i have to admit, it looks cool. i have an aging iRez USB kritter, which of course, is not compatible. i've been using IOExperts USB cam driver with some success, but if apple has such awesome native support for FW cams, would it make sense to buy one?

plus, it has nice features: autofocus, f/2.8 max aperature (you photo guys know what this means: VERY GOOD.), and intergated mic. all in a tiny enclosure with a nice little carrying case and your choice of three different "feet" for mounting.

hm. but 149? maybe it'll come down.

anyone buying this little guy?

Yeah, it's cool, it's portable, it's tiny, but it's just a bit pricey.

Of course, I recently spent $120 on a very nice 3Com cam with exchangable lenses, nice case, etc. But it's USB 1.1 and obviously gets a bit bandwidth-starved at times.

It depends on how much I end up being able to use the video conferencing. It's definitely cheaper than another firewire camera, but still..

Short answer: "Not yet"

Rip

The whole camera thing is just creepy to me. :) I guess if you had an application or business need... but just to sit around and look at each other... naaa.

Keep in mind that the iSight also is a microphone;

An integrated, dual-element microphone suppresses ambient noise, so just your voice comes through loud and clear

I use video conferencing a few times a week. It's nice talking to friends that don't live close and you don't see too often.

I'm going to buy iSight but in a month or so! Just for the fun of it! At least I'm gonna use some of them in our company anyways :p :D

Boom! :D ;) :)

It can't be used with other apps than Ichat AV, right? So why bother.
When it can be used to make little movies than i'll reconsider.

Originally posted by Meltdown
It can't be used with other apps than Ichat AV, right?
I don't see why it wouldn't work other apps... I think Apple just designed it with iChat specifically in mind.

Yes it needs iChat AV. It needs it for functions like autofocus, shutter function, whitebalance etc. I find it really stupid it can't be used in say iMovie or even Final cut Express/Pro. They missed a real oppurtunity there. If it could i would buy it this instant.

Maybe it CAN be used with iMove or Final Cut. or, if not, maybe it can with a minor software update to these apps. I wouldn't rule it out, yet, though

I bought 2. one for Me and one for my parents, who live a fair disatnce from us, so they can watch their grandaughter grow up. Have'nt gotten mine yet, should arrive today. I predicted that apple would make the "iPhone" a video conference phone rather than a cell phone. but I like this much better.

The moment I saw it, I thought I'd have to have one. After Steve's Reality Distortion Field™ went down again, however, I'm thinking: It's a webcam. I mean: It's a WEBCAM. It's a 149$ webcam. However fine it is, whatever quality it delivers, it's still only a webcam - and its sole use right now is iChat AV.

I might consider some other (cheap) webcam someday, but then again: I haven't before. Audio chatting is nice, and I'm sure it would be fun for about a week or two to have iSight, but after that...? The iPod was something completely different. It enabled me to have my whole music collection with me at all times. What does iSight do? I'll think about a MiniDV cam, maybe. Far more uses...

iChatAV isn't it's only use. It will work with other apps. Still too much money.

Back