Some sort of alias

Dusk

Registered
Is it possible to create some sort of alias that points to say Home/Documents, so it's different for every user?

All users already each have a different Home/Documents, it's in their individual user folder. If you are asking about sharing the same documents folder, you can put a folder for that purpose in the 'Shared' user folder. All users would have access to that folder, and you can create an alias on the desktop, or anywhere else you like, for access by each user.

I mean something else. An example:

There's a file called 'config' in the folder of an app, where the app stores its preferences. However, this causes that each time another user launches that app, he must change the preferences back to the way he likes them. If I could link it to the Documents folder of the active user, and then put a 'config', the app would read from and save to a different file for each user. This would be convenient.

If I have a user account, called "eric" and my girlfriend has a user account, called "jill", we both have different user preferences. When I open Word, I make my changes to the preferences for Word, and it saves those changes to eric/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Word Settings (10). When my girlfriend opens Word, and makes changes to it's preferences, it saves those changes to jill/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Word Settings (10). Each user has their own specific preferences for every App to read from.

This of course is all based on your example of an application's "config" file. From your example, the above holds true.

Is this what you were asking?

In your example the app save in preferencesFolder, but my app saves in it's own folder.

How would I point an alias to ~/Documents? I think this is what I'm looking for.

try typing this in terminal "ln -s ~/ ~/Desktop/home"

this will make a sybolic link, named "home", of "~/" onto your desktop

It might work :D

It certainly does not. It would make a symbolic link "home", which points to whatever your home folder was at the time you ran ln -s.

One solution would be creating an Applescript or other program which created an alias like that, and adding the program to each user's Login Items.

Another would be hacking the program to use the user-specific preferences. =P

Back