Some1's Selling An iBook... And... ( u know me... PC User! LOL)

I have an intellimouse wireless explorer, works fine.. I still prefer my standard MS optical mouse though - the wireless explorer doesnt seem to be as accurate.

Hmmm...
...any1 help!?

Right...

Networking...

my XP Machine has Drive D shared as "D"
it also has a folder, named "mac" in the D:/ Drive!

Now they are shared, and the Computer name is "xp" , workgroup remains "mshome".
IP: 1.0.0.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Now, on the Mac... i defined the IP as 1.0.0.3 and the same Subnet!
now, i typed in

smb://mshome;xp/d

can some1 fill me in on whats wrong?! its on Twisted Pair Cable if thats any help! ;)

NeYo

Open up terminal.app in osx (apps/utils) and ping the PC.

do this by typing

ping 1.0.0.1

then jump to the pc and goto command prompt, do the same except for the mac.

ping 1.0.0.3

If either one doesnt return replies then you know theres something wrong with the network setup.

I think it could be due to your IP addresses actually, why dont you try setting the pc / mac to something on 192.168.0.x - ie 192.168.0.1 for the pc, 192.168.0.2 for the mac...

Originally posted by verlorenengel
Open up terminal.app in osx (apps/utils) and ping the PC.

do this by typing

ping 1.0.0.1

then jump to the pc and goto command prompt, do the same except for the mac.

ping 1.0.0.3

If either one doesnt return replies then you know theres something wrong with the network setup.

I think it could be due to your IP addresses actually, why dont you try setting the pc / mac to something on 192.168.0.x - ie 192.168.0.1 for the pc, 192.168.0.2 for the mac...

ooh!... well its seems OK, the Mac Command Prompt just Keeps on Pining ... and seems to look like its recieving data...
and here's a pic of 4 Pings, on the NT Machine...

NeYo

Attachments

• command.jpg
    command.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 9
In that case... I'd say its something with the windows machine. Run through it all and double check everything is turned on, enabled etc for file sharing...

You can always ftp to the mac box from the pc.. just get an ftp client and connect to 1.0.0.3.

aslong as file sharing/ftp is turned on in system preferences under osx

A HA! ... i am kinda Getting Somewhere...
i enabled Remote Login access, and Used my FTP Client... and logged in thru there! ... i can access and copy data from there... i just wanna improve upon this, now!
This is a good start though ... @ Least i can now get my work, from the ibook ... 2 my PC/Floppy Drive! ;)
NeYo

well, for now... i can grab Screens... and FTP it 2 PC, Convert... FTP 2 web Host... and Show u guys! ;)

LOL! ...
here's Network Settings... ;)

NeYo
network.jpg

Yes - plug it in. It should work!

As for networking with PC, I was wrong: You will need a crossover cable if you intend to connect directly, its only Mac-to-Mac connections that switch automatically. You have a lot of options on HOW you network depending on what you want to achieve. The instructions I've outlined above tell you how to bring up a shared folder on your PC as a volume on your Mac. There are other things you can do, of course, some very simple and others quite complex. I suggest you start a new question asking for specific help if you're still stuck.

NeYo, You can't connect to your other computer using the mentioned methods, as you are using 10.0.x. Like I said its a GREAT idea to upgrade, because of its ~30% higher performance, and some apps like MS Office need the upgrade.

Use your windows machine's name, not ip adress in the smb://whatever line.

Here's an example:

smb://workgroup_or_domain;hostname/d$

NT and it's siblings have a default hidden share called c$ and d$ for each drive. Try that.

When the screen pops up just fill in the username and password.

Back