Sony PSP, Video Converter, and MPEG4

untz

Registered
I just bought a Sony PSP and am wondering if there is free software for OS X Tiger that would enable me to convert .mov, .mpeg, .avi, etc. files to MPEG4 (that's the particular format which the Sony PSP supports). Is MPEG4 format a DiVX format? I think I might have read that on the Internet, somewhere.

Also, has anyone bought a one gigabyte memory stick (Memory Stick Duo) for the Sony PSP?

With thanks!

You could always try ffmpegx, it can converts a variety of formats. If it is too daunting try quicktime pro 7($30) for video and a little app called mac3dec for audio. MPEG 4 can be encoded from quicktime pro and ffmpegx. It takes a long time but if you buy the mpeg2 component for quicktime you can convert .m2v files directly to your preferred format and then add the audio. I just bought the Battlestar Gallactica mini-series and created a high quality backup for viewing on my powermac using the new H.264 codec. The quality is excellent and it came back at under 650MB!! This is incredible considering the DVD is just over 3 hours long.

The relationship between Divx, Xvid, and MPEG4 is often confusing. I'll try to explain it:

MPEG4 is the name for both a video codec standard, AND a file format standard used for storing both video and audio (using the MPEG4 video codec standard and AAC audio).

Divx and Xvid are names of MPEG4 video codecs. They are both based upon the MPEG4 video codec standard, and produce MPEG4-compliant video. Divx/Xvid video, however, are rarely used in standard MPEG4 files. Instead, they're most commonly stored in AVI files, along with mp3 audio. This is partly because when Divx was first becoming widely adopted, the MPEG4 file format standard was not finalized, and the archaic AVI container has just sort of stuck. Also, originally Divx was NOT an MPEG4-compliant video codec. It was originally adapted from Microsoft's own proprietary implementation of "MPEG4" (which wasn't really MPEG4 at all...oh, Microsoft!). Divx was the name given to the codec after it was "cracked", and now it has been advanced by a separate group of developers (not Microsoft), and is MPEG4-compliant.

Still confused? Let me put it another way.

MPEG4 is a set of rules defining how video can be compressed. However, there are many different ways of encoding video while still obeying these rules. An encoder needs to make many decisions when compressing video, because there are many different ways to obey the rules. Some encoders are built for speed; others are built for quality. So there is room for many distinctly different encoders, such as Divx, Xvid, QuickTime's MPEG4 encoder, etc. They all obey the MPEG4 rules, but they do it in different ways.

-----END OF LONG CONFUSING EXPLANATION-----

Now, a fully MPEG4-compliant file needs to use MPEG4 video (which could be produced with any of the encoders I mentioned above), AAC audio, and must be stored in a .mp4 file.

QuickTime can easily produce such files, IF you have QuickTime Pro.

My personal favorite way of creating .mp4 is a great freeware program called OpenShiiva. It takes DVDs or QuickTime content and converts them to fully-compliant mp4 files. Plus, it gives you high-quality scaling and cropping abilities, and lets you choose which encoder you want to use to create your MPEG4 video. QuickTime only lets you use Apple's encoder, but OpenShiiva lets you use Xvid (which is generally considered the best out there), Divx, or 3ivx.

Whew! Hope that helps!

@Mikuro
That's a very good summary. One question I have. Of all the codecs, Xvid, DivX;-) (you need to remember the ;-), and QuickTime, which ones give the best performance in terms of encoding time and quality?

how much video can they hold? i have a trip Friday, might go get one to pass time at the airport. Will i need a memory stick or something? Any other helpful info on the PSP. Also, how did the quality of that video turn out? If i can get a good amount, i'll convert some of my DVDs and take that with me.

IDK how much they ship with but it is just flash memory that you can buy to expand it.

I would assume you could get a movie pretty small if you compressed it to match the resolution of the PSP display as well as used some audio compression. I remember DivX dvd rips being about 600 MB and looking pretty decent, on the small screen I can imagine you can cut the file size down even further.

Back