Sony SLAMS Microsoft by lowering the price of PS2!

Generally I don't like M$, but their recent efforts in the Mac BU and with the Xbox, make me think that they are at least capable of making really good products that I am happy to pay for, as opposed to the normal situation of having to pay because I need their crappy product in order to be compatible.

Bernie :eek:)

Mac Microsoft = Good
General Microsoft = Bad

Make two new env. variables (to remind you):

MACMICROSOFT=GOOD
GENERALMICROSOFT=BAD

;)

satanicpoptart... are they really lowering the prices or were you just saying that? if they are, can you provide an article?

thanx

BlingBling 3k12,

You can check http://www.gamespot.com and http://xbox.ign.com for confirmation of the XBOX price drop. It has been the hot rumor in the industry for a week or two. My guess is that Sony decided to steal M$'s thunder (once Sony realized the XBOX price drop was a done deal come the E3 trade show next week, that is...) Welcome to the console price wars, I guess...

FWIW, I'm with you: I have an XBOX and a PS2, and the XBOX is simply the better machine, IMNSHO. A little thin in the software department, but this holiday season should be replete with great titles. And come on people, is M$ _really_ any more evil than Sony?? Pot, Kettle. Kettle, pot.

-alex.

You see though, one pot is poisoned and kills ya, the other one just knocks you out for a few hours. :)

I dunno why I don't like the XBox, it's just the name, the look, the company, ugh. I mean, stick to operating systems Microsoft! No need for M$ PDA's and consoles...

Originally posted by ksuther
You see though, one pot is poisoned and kills ya, the other one just knocks you out for a few hours. :)

I dunno why I don't like the XBox, it's just the name, the look, the company, ugh. I mean, stick to operating systems Microsoft! No need for M$ PDA's and consoles...

well, I respect the "No M$ anywhere" position. But what if you really want to play games from Bungie? It's either the XBOX or the PC, and either way, if you don't like M$, you're SOL.

Besides that, Sony is at least as scary as M$. Think about it: in music, and to a lesser degree film and TV, Sony has its hands in every step of the production process from the Sony camera or multitrack tape deck to the Sony mixing console to the Sony mastering equipment (all on Sony tape of course) and then distributed by the Sony music and film companies and their vast leviathan of subsidiaries. Perhaps the best one can say of M$ is that they lacked Sony's subtlety and got caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

I haven't used a M$ OS in years. Used by choice, that is, I can and do fix WinTooKie and NT problems on the job when crappy M$ products are preventing my UNIX systems from working. But my main objection to M$ is just that: most of their products suck. When and if I find an M$ product that doesn't suck (OfficeX and XBOX jump readily to mind) I'm not going to boycott it b/c it's from M$. Once you start down that road, where do you draw the line. Are M$ greedy bastards? You bet. Are Sony greedy Bastards? Sure are. Is Bill Gates a ruthless mama-jama? Sho'nuff. What about Steve Jobs? C'mon, he wrote the book on ruthless.

Whew... kinda went off there. Really my point is that I like the XBOX and if you don't play Halo b/c you hate M$ you're doing yourself a disservice. Also, every Sony product I've ever come across, besides the pro stuff, self-destructed three minutes after the warranty ran out. I have no love for Sony or M$, but either way they're inevitably going to get some of my money... it's just the nature of our capitalist system.

Raise the black flag of anarchy!

or maybe not.

Sheesh. Too much coffee today.

(stepping slowly away from the keyboard...)

-alex.

BlingBling 3k12,

You can check http://www.gamespot.com and http://xbox.ign.com for confirmation of the XBOX price drop. It has been the hot rumor in the industry for a week or two. My guess is that Sony decided to steal M$'s thunder (once Sony realized the XBOX price drop was a done deal come the E3 trade show next week, that is...) Welcome to the console price wars, I guess...

FWIW, I'm with you: I have an XBOX and a PS2, and the XBOX is simply the better machine, IMNSHO. A little thin in the software department, but this holiday season should be replete with great titles. And come on people, is M$ _really_ any more evil than Sony?? Pot, Kettle. Kettle, pot.

-alex.

SP slams head on desk..... why could i have not waited... i could have used that 100 bucks..... blah.... damn it to hell, oh well halo has given me at least 100 dollars of pleasure. and when brute force (basicaly halo 2) comes out i will be even more content with my purchase..... XBOX FOREVER

People looking for game systems to buy are going to be swayed away from the ps2 in favour of the xbox because of the price drops. The xbox has better graphics. That is a seminal feature of a gaming system. I don't know if I would make that decision or not, but many definitely will.

One other thing: Microsoft was selling each and every xbox at a loss before this price drop. Now they're selling them at an even greater loss in order to lessen the grip that Sony has enjoyed on the gaming industry these many years. Sony is Netscape and the xbox is Explorer.

GameCube is Mac OS X!!!

xbox (Explorer) might incorporate some of its features into gamecube.

Just Kidding! :D

GameCube is OmniWeb (insert cheer here, simX).

Originally posted by Jadey
People looking for game systems to buy are going to be swayed away from the ps2 in favour of the xbox because of the price drops. The xbox has better graphics. That is a seminal feature of a gaming system. I don't know if I would make that decision or not, but many definitely will.

One other thing: Microsoft was selling each and every xbox at a loss before this price drop. Now they're selling them at an even greater loss in order to lessen the grip that Sony has enjoyed on the gaming industry these many years. Sony is Netscape and the xbox is Explorer.

It is unlikely Sony is losing any money on the PS2...

http://www.actsofgord.com/Proclamations/chapter02.html

If Microsoft think they can do a "Netscape" on this one, they are sorely mistaken.

I said Microsoft was selling the xbox at a loss. Not Sony selling the ps2 at a loss. My point being that Microsoft will develop a product (a browser, a game system) at a loss simply to crush the competition.

if you think about it, microsoft could sell the xbox for 50 dollars
they have enough money and that would flood the market like crazy, but the govorment would smake the shit out of them in the monoply suit

but the govorment would smake the shit out of them in the monoply suit

Nah, the government is scared of them. They'd probably help hand them out to everybody if Microsoft asked.

Gotta love companies that have power of the government!

Back