SOS from son re ipod

Just got a phone call from one of my sons. He's bought a 30gb iPod, plugged it into his iMac (OS X.2), it didn't see it. When he unplugged it he got the 'device wasn't properly removed' screen. He restarted his iMac but it won't get past the grey start-upscreen. I've emailed to his friend's computer to do a safe start and run fsck, but I wondered if anyone had any experience of this, and what to do.
Kids, eh?

Make him get OS X 10.4 and/or a new computer that can run 10.4.

Life will be easier for him, and for you.

Otherwise, what steps have been performed to return the machine to a usable state?
Does he have the boot CD? Did he try to boot off of it (hold the "c" key down during boot up) and run Disk Utility?
Zap the parameter RAM? (hold down the command-option-p-r keys during boot until you hear the startup chime 3 times)
Booted into open firmware (hold down command-option-o-f on bootup) and typed the following two commands? "reset-nvram" & "reset-all"

Safe start is not compatible with running fsck. I'm not sure if you meant that as two separate unrelated operations.
You can try to boot into safe mode (apple only system startup) or, you can boot into single user mode to run fsck.

Back