Speed Download 2: Anyone use this app?

themacko

Barking at the moon.
So I'm looking around for a little app that will allow me to resume downloads of large files. It looks to me like Speed Download 2 is the best out there, but before I spend $20 I'm wondering if anyone else has some suggestions.

Basically, this will be used for downloading large files (100mb - 1gig) and my main need is the ability to resume downloads should I need to restart my computer or what-have-you.

By the way, the link to Speed Download is www.yazsoft.com

Works great for me. Why don't you just download the free trial version and check it out for yourself, it has all features enabled, just gives you a nagging demo start-up box until you register.

Since reading this post I've been giving it a try, but I think I'm going to go back to iGetter. To me it just has much better browser integration and I like the dock controls. After using iGetter for so long Speed Download just seems clunky (although it does seem a tad faster).

Better browser integration, Speed Download is automatic and runs in the background while you're working. Couldn't get much better than that, and like you said, it's faster.

I use and have registered Speed Download 2.
Altho I haven't downloaded 1GB files - I have downloaded multiple ~100 MB files with no problems.

It does resume downloads.

And you can have it be completely hidden so it never gets in your way.

I really like the bandwidth meter in the dock that it uses. You can see if a download has stopped for whatever reason. And you can limit how much bandwidth it uses so it does not slow you down.

I highly recommend it to everyone! Dialup and Broadband users alike! (I have Broadband)

:)

Here's a couple of features from iGetter that I have yet to find in SD2. In iG either from in the app or just from its dock icon I can set it to automatically reconnect to my ISP if I get disconnected, e.g. after 4 hour limit, then disconnect from the ISP when finished downloading. For me this is great because it means I can set a big download to happen overnight and when I get back its all done. I tried do this last night with SD but when I got back this morning it had been disconnected and didn't automatically reconnect. Also the dock icon instead of showing the number of active and qeued downloads shows the download speed.

Again, I've only just started playing around with SD so maybe these are features I've overlooked.

I used to use it when I had a slower connection, it was a great app indeed, although I don't need it at all now. SpeedDownload is part of my own app's cemetary, along with GraphicConverter (which I've used for years in Mac OS 8), TurboMem (OSX.1), etc.

Back